Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to buy a futon / furniture
Any recommendations where on the east side of the island to buy a new futon? Other low-end furniture? I'm paranoid about bed bugs so I'm looking for NEW stuff.
Cotton filled futons here get really funky and moldy smelling, unless you go the traditional Japanese route and really do constantly flip it over every day and put it out in the sun regularly. So if you get a futon look for synthetic fill.

Slumberworld/furnitureland have relatively inexpensive futons and I think Walmart has had even cheaper ones. Think about buying a new matress and a high quality used frame. A lot of people seem to dump their futon frames when it is time to replace the futon, and I see used frames on craigslist regularly. Dragonmama also has very nice stuff, but at premium prices.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I always wondered what motivates people to buy the beds they do. I figure I spend 1/3 of my life in bed so I go for quality. I would go with America's Mattress on this side. However, expect to spend some change! If you do, ask for Karen. She is a friend of mine and they work on commission. If you tell her Pam Lamont sent you she will discount it a bit. Otherwise, I would hit Costco on the other side.

Is this shameless advertising? Probably. But the only other place I know of in town is Dragon Mama's and I don't think you get a better bang for your buck. If you are going bottom of the line, Walmart works but gosh.... my back is screaming at me just thinking about it!

Welcome and good luck.

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
American Mattress or Furnitureland, if you come to your senses and buy a real bed ... [Wink] ugh to sleeping on a futon.

Furnitureland has sales. I have bought two beds there after shopping around.

Macy's has periodic mattress sales, but they really are periodic, and I don't think they sell mattresses except during the on-sale times.

It is hard to find low end used furniture in Hilo that doesn't smell like mold.

Bamboo and Teak I have shopped at repeatedly and gotten a loveseat, chair, bookcases, bar stools. Paradise Plants has gorgeous furniture, but too pricey for me.

There is more furniture in Kona, better prices, might be worth a trip if you can transport it. Costco furniture is junk. There are some used furniture places in the old industrial center, near the True Value Hardware is one full of odds and ends.

Speaking of low end, they sell some stuff at the Cost-U-less in Hilo.

I am all about paying as little as possible, but it's tough with the stores here. The second hand can, as I mentioned, have serious mold issues that don't go away. There is a second hand place on Maka'ala on the other side from Bamboo and Teak, and there is one on Hwy 11, on the same side as the Pool business (makai), in one of those strips of industrial looking shops.
Beware termites in used wooden furniture too, check underneath for evidence of infestation before buying.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
All the mahogany furniture imported from Indonesia is chemically treated to resist bugs. So far so good with the Bamboo and Teak stuff. Teak has a natural resistance, I believe. There used to be a bedding and furniture store in Kona that had good prices on the mahogany furniture, acquired that when I first moved here, and is still fine after a decade.
I got my futon 5 years ago from Yamada in Hilo. It's the mattress w/ springs, so still great. It was on sale for around $100, I think. I also love Liquidators, it's on Kilauea across from Aupuni St. Check Craig's list, I got lots of stuff there.
We have had great luck at Koloko Furniture in Kona...just down the street from Costco. And, they deliver over here to the East side for free.
Paradise Plants has a great selection of furniture, including beds and futons. We furnished our place with their stuff.
OH, Koloko is our ABSOLUTE FAVORITE place to buy furniture. Each year we choose one piece to add to our home. Started with a teak, 4 poster king bed frame. next year was the dining table that seats 10 made of the roots of teak and 10 chairs of teak in the DaVinci design; third year we got a teak bar from an extreme piece of solid teak from the 1800's (long story) and the last year we did it we bought a nice reclining easy chair. I hate the lazy boy look so this has a lower back and is very cool. It's smaller and fits well in the little room we have for it. Anyhow, I find Kaloko furniture the bomb and Doc and his wife are delightful to do business with.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Oh Crap, She's up!"