Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Ponds
Has anyone gone to the hot ponds since the ocean entry closed again?
We are planing to go and want to know how the temps are. I don't need to hear how your third cousin twice reomved contracted Beri-Beri, Mubi-Fubi, or crotch rot from going there. Mahalo.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
Hey Dick, how does the entry get "closed"??? I didn't know there was a gate! It was a bit cold 2 weeks ago.....

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Well, I guess the gate guard decided that there was no reason to let people view the lava. Last I heard there was no flow into the ocean at the new entry.

dick wilson
dick wilson
I don't think the lava flow into the ocean in Kalapana has anything whatsoever to do with the hot pond temperature. I have never experienced any correlation.
It has seemed much warmer in the past, it's true. I like to float since heat rises...my chances of getting a warm "spot" is greater I think. (Well I didn't use to have to look for a warm spot there before.)

Blessings!

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I am going to guess the pond temp has more to do with rain fall in recent past....but, as always, could be wrong
Anyhoo, nice USGS link on this:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2000/00_02_17.html
I go fairly regularly. Some days the pond is really warm and other days it's chilly. The pond temperature is influenced by more than one variable. As Carey said, the amount of rain is a big one. It's also related to the tide (how high, how low), how rough the ocean is that day, the direction of the waves, and how many kids peed in the pond (okay, made up that last one).

Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
The Temps do seem to vary on a daily basis, Just seemed like the last few times, since the ocean flow quit, that its been cooler. Mahalo for the updates.

dick wilson
dick wilson
The pond temperature will be depend on two things.... the tide - high tide will being in cooler ocean water and low tide will being in less, and rainfall - periods of drought will deliver less underground hot water to the pond and more rainfall will deliver more.

The surface lava flows will do nothing unless they come and destroy the pond. Other very fine coastal ponds have been destroyed in the past.

The end of this Youtube has some shots of Queen's Bath - now gone and busied by lava.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usOFmfDl8LE
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Just got back. At high tide it was comfortable to warm, depending on what part of the pond. But I've also experienced low-tide when it was chilly. Temperature is affected by a combination of different variables.

So glad I went today. Great weather and not too many people.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius