Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 HPP Internet Service Provider Survey
Hello fellow Punaweb members,

As I ponder my move to HPP, first and foremost for me is internet access. It's a must have for me to make a living. I'm trying to get a sense for where service is available in the park and who is providing the service. Also interested in the speeds users are getting. You can visit http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and run some upload and download tests to see what kind of service you're getting.

I've seen chats here and there about Aloha broadband, but not relating to location and availability in the park.

What would be helpful is if people would chime in and say who their service provider is, and what street they live on. This info would really help to get a sense of things.

You could also discuss your experience with that service provider if you choose to share.

Thanks in advance. All I can do really is try and learn the present state of affairs and then start calling the cable company and telephone company and others and try and push things forward.

I've also been investigating some new satellite systems - schools still out there.

(Edited to remove Coconut wireless - was recalling from memory - Coconut wireless is not on Big Island.)
We have Aloha Broadband on 5th street in HPP off Makuu towards the dead end...and we have pretty good speed. 1.5 down about 1.0 up.
I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL & love it. Fast & only $35 for WiFi + land line. Upper HPP
It depends on how far down you are... i am at Maku'u and 12th. I have DSL from Hawaiian Tel. But i was told by the ph. company
that it wasn't available four different times. When a installer came out he said we had the connection at the pole.. Can download
video and skype.. and you cant beat the price..
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
Coconut wireless?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by grumpyscosmos

It depends on how far down you are... i am at Maku'u and 12th. I have DSL from Hawaiian Tel. But i was told by the ph. company
that it wasn't available four different times. When a installer came out he said we had the connection at the pole.. Can download
video and skype.. and you cant beat the price..

Thanks for the info, I'm on 11th. Given a choice I'd prefer DSL, but I'm guessing I'll have to take what I can get. Planning to give the phone company a call and see if they give any priority for business accounts.
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL & love it. Fast & only $35 for WiFi + land line. Upper HPP

How did you accomplish that Dora? I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL and I'm charged $36.45 a month w/out land line. When I called them up after reading your post, the rep. said it would be $52.00 for both plus tax. When I told the rep. I'd seen it on this blog, she said, huh, I don't know, I'd have to have her phone number to check.
I did the speed test, 1.48 download and .94 upload. We are at the very bottom of Makuu in HPP and have Oceanic Cable.

Cable has only been here for a year and we recently downgraded to the Internet lite - cheapest and slowest, but we can still watch TV on our computers, so I think it's fine. The technician told me they are going to increase speeds but not prices in the near future. Unfortunately Oceanic doesn't cover the whole island and it took us several years to get them to come down here. They had to provide service as we meet the housting density requirements and they are the only cable internet provider.
Oceanic Time Warner cable is on Ala Heiau and Paradise Ala Kai - both are oceanfront streets.
I am not sure if they are anywhere else, maybe someone can confirm. Cable is, of course, plenty fast!
We have a number of people who work remotely from here.
5.43--6.77 download and .92 upload, as a comparison with non-HPP (non-Puna) cable speeds, but my first test was lower than Dinamight's TW lite speeds. The two tests were radically different, so I tried some more locations. The San Francisco test is turtling at about 20% the download speed and 30% the upload speed as the LA or Seattle test, no idea why.