Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help with New Business Investigation
Aloha!

I am new to this forum and I am hoping that all of you can help provide some information.

My husband and I have both been in software careers on the mainland for many years. Now that I am a cancer survivor, I am finding the need to get out of the “rat race” and get on with enjoying and living life. We both want to move to a smaller community in a nice climate and do what we love. For my husband that would mean continuing in the Software field and for me that means running a small business and focusing on volunteering and my hobbies.

We are wondering if there is a need in your area for a small computer business? We can do anything from fixing a broken computer, to maintaining and servicing networks for companies focusing on smaller companies who may not be able to have a full time staff to do this type of work. We can also build and maintain websites for small businesses. All of this would be for a reasonable and competitive price, of course!

What do you think? Could there be a need? Give me ideas and suggestions! I will love hearing from you!

Hawaii Dreaming
Hawaii Dreaming
Hawaii has a unique business environment vs the mainland.

Locally there are a number of places doing repair/computer builds. From the appearance they are charging towards the bottom of the scale for work (most are part of another business for example a mailbox etc type place with computer repair on the side). Small businesses locally are low tech (it's hard to find even websites for most of them) so they don't upgrade or computerize with enough turn over to support a services business (in my opinion).

The other hurdle is the local advertising philosophy. This is a very rural "who you know" type of environment. There are limited advertising venues mostly because if you need something done you ask your family/neighbors/friends who they know, it's been very difficult for me to locate businesses for things I need being a transplant. So it's difficult to do a full court advertising press like you would on the mainland to get yourself known.

On this island software development would also be a limited opportunity. Just not many high tech companies. I build websites and all of my work is for an advertising agency on the mainland that I had a relationship with before moving. So my recommendation is too look at telecommuting opportunities with the companies he has a relationship with now (there are a number of people on the islands that do this).

On the positive side I've cut my expenses by 40% with lifestyle changes and lessened expectations after leaving the rate race on the mainland (Southern California) and find the environment and people to be a major bonus.

Just to let you know my perspective I moved here from Southern California, owned 2 start up businesses, and have lived her 2 years so your mileage may vary (if your moving from flyover country you won't find it cheaper to live here).

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
Thank you very much! These are the kind of things that we need to know, as we understand that the life style there is very different from what we are used to. We have considered the telecomuting idea which would be our first choice. We have not socialized it with his employer yet as we are still thinking and investigating.

We are serious about making the move - just a bit worried about the employment aspect of it all.

Also good to know about the lifestyle changes and lesser expense. We are in the Seattle area so our situation sounds similar to yours in SC.

Hawaii Dreaming
Hawaii Dreaming
Yes the employment situation locally is sketchy. Took my wife 18 months to land an admin/receptionist job (20+ years experience). My first year here I started applying to jobs in case the telecommuting didn't work (you never know when your out the door in this economy/business climate especially when your not in the office all the time) and in that year I received 2 interviews and finally got a job working nights at Target for a while (these were all entry-level/grunt type jobs). In talking to one of the guys just in conversation we both were part of the other interview I had and we applied to almost all the same jobs. Limited pool of jobs out there and all the same applicants fighting for them. Not to be negative but you either need to have almost no overhead or saved up funds to get you through the waiting period for a job to roll around.

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
In the case of my wife and I, our strategy was eliminating expenses, mainly most of the mortgage, and downsizing from 2 1/2 incomes to 1 1/2. I was fortunate as I was able to transfer with my job because after watching the employment opportunities on the island for a couple of years it was clear that there are more people than jobs. We are also in the unique situation that where we live(d) in Alaska is more expensive than the BI, the reverse of what most mainlanders experience.
Make sure you check that where you want to move to has broadband, some areas still only have dial-up!
It is great that you can finally live in Hawaii and work on the mainland, if you can get a telecommuting job.