Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lithium batteries and airplanes
Dont put lithium batteries(like the ones in my cordless drills) in your checked bags or you might get a sorry about your bad luck note for them. In your carry on is ok.
Why? Not that I'm planning on doing it, but I am curious.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
A UPS 747 aircraft crashed in Dubai and the likely culprit is a fire caused by lithium batteries. There have been fires that were caused by laptop batteries in overhead bins but due to the easy accessibility they were quickly found and extinguished. Lithium batteries are now considered a hazmat by the FAA and require special handling during air transport. As far as I know it only involves rechargable batteries, the single use-ones should still be oK. But don't quote me on that. The automatic fire suppression systems on board can extinguish lithium-ion battery fires but not lithium-metal-cell battery fires. So if the self ignite they can burn until the fire spreads to the fuel tanks, then its all over.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPS_Airlines_Flight_6
I'm a woodworker/remodeler/etc. and I have several tools that use lithium batteries. I have to take precautions when charging them. Never new them to spontaneously combust unless subjected to extreme heat and/or possibly shocks.
Kind of scary if they can start a fire just "sitting around".
Can you imagine driving sround with a trunkload of them? [}Smile]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

I'm a woodworker/remodeler/etc. and I have several tools that use lithium batteries. I have to take precautions when charging them. Never new them to spontaneously combust unless subjected to extreme heat and/or possibly shocks.
Kind of scary if they can start a fire just "sitting around".
Can you imagine driving sround with a trunkload of them? [}Smile]

AFAIK, the "real" hazards are (absent the things you mentioned above)if the battery gets shorted out (unlikely if installed in a device) or if the device itself malfunctions.
I've never had one explode or catch fire but I have had them get very hot and swell up. In a confined space the outcome might have been more dramatic. This was not due to an external short or malfunctioning device but were older batteries.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.