Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firewod Project
We do a community activity wherein we harvest trees that have been felled and distribute firewood to older persons who have need. Those who participate get to keep part of what they harvest for themselves.

We have been notified that there is a 60 foot tree available for us to harvest in Leilani Estates within the next two weeks. If you wish to participate, email pslamont@yahoo.com

There are many roles. If you have a chain saw and know how to use it, bring it along. If not, thats okay. There is plenty of lifting, stacking, etc. Once we have it home we split and stack it for drying. If you have a truck and can help haul some home, great. You will get at least part of a truckload to take home.

Whether you need firewood or not, it COLD in Volcano and we are helping out some in the community who need a little help. This is community supporting community.

Smile Pam

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
With the price of gas that's going to be expensive firewood by the time you get it from Leilani to volcano
Yes, it is a volunteer mission. We usually have a couple trucks and a trailer of wood to split. Firewood is expensive in general. That is why some people can't afford it. However, there is no reason for good people to be cold... really cold.. when some work by neighbors can help. I didn't say this was a profitable operation; I lose money every month on my community projects. I provide fresh lettuce and veggies weekly to a meal program, or instance. Why? Because I can. What can YOU do for your community?

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Good on you pslamont

It is amazing what one person can do. What about ironwoods? Do those make good firewood?
What kind of tree?

Dan
Forest > Trees
My point is up on the hill there is the densest forest in the state. why would you drive an hour each way for one tree
not cutting on doing something for people, i have done many thosands of hours of volunteer.
Because the tree down the hill is the one that needs to be removed?
quote:
What about ironwoods? Do those make good firewood?
Yep, it makes a pretty good firewood. It also makes nice carvings. I've seen many of the chainsaw statues made from it and due to the color of the wood they are very pretty. Of course the artists talents help too. It does split as it dries which limits it's other usefulness.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

Forest > Trees
My point is up on the hill there is the densest forest in the state. why would you drive an hour each way for one tree not cutting on doing something for people, i have done many thosands of hours of volunteer.

Up in Volcano is native ohia forest which is slow-growing and increasingly rare. Down in Puna is a lot of albizia and other fast-growing aliens that can't even be cut down fast enough.

A better way of putting is that trees != forest. Around Volcano is forest. Puna has lots of trees, but much less forest.
This tree is Ohia. In Leilani Estates, they are experiencing an as yet unexplained dieing off of Ohia's. There are about 50 trees in one neighborhood. As the residents take them down for safety, we are called to harvest them. They are usually hollow in the middle and we have to store and dry them for four to 12 months. We have the space for that at my ranch.

So, yes, as mentioned above, this is the tree that needs to be removed. We at no time harvest live, healthy trees. We are doing a community service both removing the trees that need to be removed and providing firewood to warm people up in the very cold volcano. It isn't grocery shopping. One helps those who need help. Most of the time when we remove the trees they are on the properties of persons who do not have the resources to have them removed. We simply take a naturally occurring situation and try to turn it into a win/win. That's how I like life... win/win.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Oh Crap, She's up!"