Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CU Hawaii?
I've been with Big Island Federal Credit Union for eight years now with absolutely no problems. Their online billpay is free. Notary is walk-in and free. I'd recommend them without hesitation. They have a branch in Shipman.

Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be, enjoy this day!
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

That's why we kept our out of state credit union when we moved here. We don't have limits like that. Unfortuneately "none" of the credit unions in Hilo/Puna area are affiliated with the "shared banking" concept that hundreds of mainland banks use for the convenience of their customers who travel. I myself am a member of Alaska USA credit union and the closest "shared bank" where I can withdrawl and depost funds is in Honakaka...or Kona.

According to cuswirl.com you can use:

Hawaii County Employees CU
131 Puuhonu Way
Hilo, HI 96720

for alaskausa FCU transactions
Wow...Thanks terracore.!!! Last time I checked...there was nothing in the Hilo/Puna area. But I just called to confirm this and they indeed do shared banking with my credit union in Alaska plus others!
terracore, thank you for this info on Hawaii Co. Employees CU! I'll check with my mainland CU and see if this is feasible for me, too.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by Lin W

I've been with Big Island Federal Credit Union for eight years now with absolutely no problems. Their online billpay is free. Notary is walk-in and free. I'd recommend them without hesitation. They have a branch in Shipman.

Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be, enjoy this day!

I dont bank here, but my hanai son does and if he gets low, i walk in and they say Auntie how much you putting in Brandon's acct?

Did I mention I dont bank there? Maybe 2 x a year and they remember that Brandon is our hanai son. This is why I like small business.

I dont like a certain state-wide bank in Hawaii for the same exact reason - 5 days a week for 2 years, and I forgot my iD one day when I was cashing a personal check and no go. I know some people just love that bank and that is good for you, but IMHO there are much better choices.
Nalu, I had a similar experience at my mainland bank, I went to deposit my pay check and the tellers write on your deposit receipt your new balance. As I was walking out I discovered I had 75,000.00 in my checking account!. They had deposited my pay check back into my employers account!

Mac nut
quote:
Originally posted by nana valley

terracore, thank you for this info on Hawaii Co. Employees CU! I'll check with my mainland CU and see if this is feasible for me, too.

I actually had come back here to tell you that I have gone to that credit union and got a cashiers check from them (from my AlaskaUSA account) and it was no problem. Took only a few seconds, like they do it all the time.
quote:
Originally posted by Lin W

Need to add a disclaimer- we went to one branch and tried to get something notarized and they said "not without an appointment" and "they weren't doing any today". Then we went to their branch in Hilo and got it notarized right away, but they did charge us $5. This was yesterday.
Interesting - as far as I know BIFCU only has two offices east side, Shipman and on Lono in Hilo. Are you a BIFCU member? I think you'll find free services are members only at any CU. At least you got it done. Aloha.

I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Thanks Lin, we went to BIFCU shipman branch and opened an account. They are so nice there. It has a totally different (and positive!) feel to it. I think we will be happy there.

1 island 2 another
1 island 2 another