Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generators and Inverters
thanks, I'm still working on whether the outlets look like the one in your car or your house.
Most people use "cig lighter socket" for 12V, this is convenient but as a connector it kind of sucks.

The Code sayeth you can use single-phase 220 outlets (eg, NEMA6-15 or NEMA6-20) for 12V **if** there is no 220VAC in the building, but these are expensive and difficult to find.

My future installs will use barrier strips in a zip box; this is "less convenent" but the parts are cheap and the connection is secure, and it's not like you move your table lamp around the place anyway.

Agree that "big wiring" can be expensive; fully native 12V is really only practical where small square footage (boat, RV, cabin) keeps the wiring runs short. Longest run here is about 35 feet to the pumphouse, with #10 wire the loss is under 5%, not a problem.
Im sure the pump is the problem.... My pump on my offgrid system uses hardly any power, ....for a long time I had it running on an old boat battery (battery was usually so dead it would barely light a small light bulb and was re-charged by a small junk 2' solar panel) It ran like this for years before I recently switched it over directly to my main solar powered batteries.
I got it on eBay (for well under $100) and I also have a small pressure tank I use with it. It will run off the battery even when it is practically drained empty, doesnt use much power at all. My pump is made for fishing boats and RVs, and is good for a cabin so I know its not the best for a house.... just pointing out that basic water pumps can be cheap and use low power.

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
1kw (1000 watts) = 1.34 horse power

120 watts (12 volts @10 amps) = .13 horsepower

depends on your needs - a 10amp 12v shurflo will never lift or move the volume of water a 1 1/3 hp 120 volt 1000 watt (8.3 amp at 120 volt) will

that is what makes the design a challenge. In my case my other system requires me to pump water up 80ft or so to fill the gravity tank that supplies the house.... I pump with a gasoline powered 6hp pump - then let gravity handle the water supply to the house

The biggest issue was finding a flash heater that would fire at 4psi

this stuff can get pretty involved - lots of hairs to split if you want a decent shower - grin

Design solutions are "fitness and suitability of purpose" above all else -- I don't have to lift water 80', so the little shurflo pumps are just fine. Compensate for the "low" pressure by oversizing the plumbing.

That said, if I were doing lift for a gravity tank, I'd use a standalone batteryless system with a small Slowpump, maybe with a linear current booster to compensate for the cloud cover.

I've thought about doing it here, but there's not much elevation available.
These little ITT / Jabsco pumps are really good for low voltage applications - they come in different versions -this one for potable water supply - they are premium pumps with a long life span

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-36950-2000-...m_sbs_sg_3

These little water heaters are really cool for off grid and "base camp" applications -

http://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L5-Portab...sim_auto_4

I also like the little aluminum lightweight 2 gallon propane tanks - they fit in a back pack - light enough to be able to take a full one along on a bicycle / scooter

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-299889-10-Pound-Aluminum-Prevention/dp/B004FPZABU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349201674&sr=8-1&keywords=aluminum+propane+tank