Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeowners Insurance
I dont know the exact details but I do know someone personally who had a homeowners policy be denied renewal right prior to the lava getting to their house. They lost their entire investment after paying premiums for years prior to this. Can the insurers deny a renewal of existing coverage if the lava is advancing and your house is in it's path? Also, I think she said that "fire is covered" but you somehow how to prove that your house burnt down independent of lava inundation- kinda like hurricane insurance not covering water damage, just the wind. Hopefully someone here is an expert about all of this, because it is hugely important. It's one of the reasons I am hesitant to buy a house here.
USAA
quote:
Originally posted by 4dognight

Still can't beat USAA for auto though.

We got a better auto rate from Geico than USAA.

Don't know about other insurance, but USAA won't write homeowners policies for new customers anywhere in Hawaii. We switched from homeowners to renters insurance when we moved from the mainland to keep our eligibility, but then bought in lava zone 3, and they wouldn't insure that (they'll cover LZ 4 and higher for existing customers).

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
a slow moving stream of lava I can pack all my stuff up and move away from worries me little compared to a steam vent or worse, an eruption suddenly happening in my house while my family and I are home asleep or whatever. Burned to death is not a way to go I would pick.( better than cancer, though.)

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
@sistersue, check out the state's Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs site: http://hawaii.gov/dcca/ins/

There is a section where you can compare Hawaii homeowners and personal automobile insurance rates and another where you can review the number of consumer complaints filed against specific carriers.

Lots of good information.

Check it out.

Mike in HPP
Dongbu was the cheapest we found. $35/month and includes hurricane insurance (required by bank).

Lava Zone 3 (Orchidland)

Newer 3 bedroom/3 bath house on 3 acres.

USAA is great for auto insurance but their quote for homeowner's insurance was at 4-5x the Dongbu quote.
Not to be a wiseacre (OK, I really am being one) but persons who are really worried about the lava should perhaps be buying on the other side of Hilo, up the coast a bit.

Or, even safer, on a different island.

Madame Pele is spewing, so don't act surprised if you find lava coming your way. It's not like it could be a surprise that the volcano is active.
Ditto terracore regarding Dongbu. Low prices, good report from rating agencies.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

USAA is great for auto insurance

I got Geico... for my small car I'm paying around 20 bucks a month every six months works out to be around 120 bucks with roadside assistance. It's not the cheapest I think I opted to get no fault and if I hit someone and it's my fault I have 50K coverage for their ride.

I thought it was a great rate compared to the rest of em. But I might try USAA again to see if they can undercut. I'll go with whoever going to give me a lower quote even if it's only 10-20 bucks a year savings.

Sadly I can't opt out of auto insurance like I can for home insurance (SCAM). Whew. Sure glad I am not paying into it.
Thanks to 4 dog night, orchid islander and terracore for your replies. That Dongbu rate sounds too good to be true!
I have Dongbu as well. My agent placed my homeowner's coverage with them after my previous carrier jacked up their rates. When I received my outrageous renewal bill from Geico - clean driver, no accidents, etc - for over $1,000 annually, I had my auto quoted with Dongbu as well. Same coverage as Geico and I saved over $500.00 per year. Dongbu is "A" rated and an admitted carrier. Good stuff.