Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artwalk/First Friday/Art Auction Fri Aug 2
Wow Carey absolutely beautiful. I missed all those auctions. How could one, who is not into auctions, view and perhaps purchase your wares..umm....tiles?

Thanks!
Thank you, Orchidislander, you have not missed all of the auctions yet, as I did just drop off the turtle on blue & the hook this afternoon at EHCC, hopefully to be chosen for their silent art auction on Aug. 2....can see this weekend if either are in the preview... but do understand the silent auction thing...

I have never sold any of these, and have no stock of cut tiles, but the flickr photostream has all but one tile I have cut (one baby whale was given away with no photos...) I have only cut tiles for friends & a few silent auctions...still am fairly new to this & still trying to figure out the finesses & tile scrounging...er... procurement in the middle of the Pacific & working on my Masters, house, yard & playing around to realistically 'go pro' right now....but maybe we could work out a deal... email through the forum...
Well, the turtle & the fish hook are in the auction, along with a lot of wonderful pieces, ranging from original oils to signed prints... even a didgeridoo!

They have these items up for silent auction through the 31st & will have a final auction on the Aug First Friday Art Walk - Aug 2 from 5:30- 10pm

The proceeds will go to the renovation of the gallery space (BTW: the EHCC is also changing names to the Hawaii Museum of Contemporary Art _ HMOCA)
quote:
Originally posted by Carey....Aug First Friday Art Walk - Aug 2 from 5:30- 10pm

Can you tell us more about the Art Walk? We have visitors here right now? I know it is the 1st First Friday Pau Hana Pa'ina tonight in Hilo also so maybe we can get it all in today in Hilo.
The art walk is a part of the First Friday events, galleries around Hilo are open this evening with entertainment & refreshments, & artists in residence; EHCC/HMOCA is having their reception/entertainment/auction; Wailoa is having the opening reception of their "Collaborations" juried art show & for those that really like walking, the Orchid Show has it's opening today...

If the weather is nice, a great way to see the bayfront, art, music & Hilo.... (there may even be the possibility to input your voice on the "Paint what Matters"... & to get ideas on the downtown colors...)
I will be at EHCC as well. Looking forward to seeing a lot of pieces by Rod Cameron, Bea Israel, and Rose Adare. All 3 were finalists in Wyland gallery's Best of the West show in Kona (even tho they're all from the east!) -- with Bea taking first place, Rose 2nd, and Rod 3rd. Rose and Rod are imho the island's greatest painters. Rod did the paintings for the 2011 and 2012 Merry Monarch posters. Bea does burned wood pieces that are to die for, many on koa. I don't know anyone who does the kind of work she does - many pieces feature underwater life, as well as heleconia, etc. They're absolutely beautiful. Shameless self promotion: my watercolor-and-inks are on display at One Gallery (across from Pineapples). We have over 50 local artists in the gallery and welcome you all to tonight's First Friday. I'll be at both venues, talking story. Will look for you at EHCC, Carey! --Diane Thornton
A lot of these images of mine can be found at One Gallery: http://dsthornton.fineartamerica.com/
Originals, prints, and cards. You can also find me at Rainforest Gallery and Volcano Garden Arts in Volcano Village. Mahalo for checking it out!
Diane, saw your work at the Gallery, beautiful!

Also went to the auction..still not positive I know how they are doing it, but in the short while I was there, did see the hook tile auctioned...to a couple from Kona that had placed a silent bid on it & drove again to Hilo to win the auction.. kinda cool!

It was really hot & muggy in the Black Box Theater tonight...so only staid a short while...
quote:
Originally posted by DTisme...Rose Adare. All 3 were finalists in Wyland gallery's Best of the West show in Kona (even tho they're all from the east!) -- with Bea taking first place, Rose 2nd, and Rod 3rd. Rose and Rod are imho the island's greatest painters...

I was lucky enough to get one of Rose's paintings back when she had 1st moved to this area - just love it!
Thanks, Carey! Saw your tiles at EHCC but not you -- course I don't know what you look like! I was surprised they were so large. For some reason i thought they were like 12x12 ea. No, they're I guess 24x24? Very nice! They'll make someone a great entry focal point for sure. Beautiful work.

btw, a great time was had by all at EHCC and at One Gallery this evening. Art is alive and well in Hilo. I'm amazed how downtown Hilo is coming alive every First Friday. The only thing I missed was the Wailoa show, which is a special show featuring collaborative pieces. It'll run for a month, but make sure you get down there before it's gone.