Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do with a drunken sailor?
Why don't you just box up the phonograph and check it as baggage on your flight over? We've checked all sorts of things in boxes.
Just another option to consider...

Hi John,

I actually think that is the least expensive alternative. That is what I am going to do. It's aleady boxed...we just moved it home from New Orleans. So this little phonograph is going to go 4000 miles.

Do you actually still play records on it? If not, take a really nice picture of it, sell it, and bring the photo, in a nice cherry wood frame...

I have friends who have a credo that would have served us well during and after our move had we embraced it: NO KNICK KNACKS!
Glen: FedEx does ship ground to Hawaii, ironically enough. I received a package from a company this way. But I specified that I would pick it up myself. Had to go to an auto collision place in Hilo where they were holding the pkg. I found this rather funny since they have a FedEx express office by the airport. But their policy is they can't keep a Ground pkg at an express office. Go figure...it has to come right past that location.

I prefer UPS personally.I believe you have the option of UPS ground as well. It still flies but is cheaper and only a little slower.

My favorite way to ship things is Flat Rate Priority USPS which costs a little over 8.00. you can stuff as much as you want into the boxes. As the postmaster told me, if you can close it properly, we will ship it. (wt.limit: 70 pounds)

Where are you shipping from and how big are the items is the key question here. If very large items, Royal Hawaiian Express in Santa Fe Springs Calif is the cheapest way, albeit slow, goes by boat. but everything gets there safely and you have the option of cust pickup or they can deliver to your address. They take a check on delivery.

D/S? take him to Madame Pele and let her deal with him.

Glen, when we moved here, all of our checkon was corrugated boxes (we used the really decor computer boxes with cow spots....) Try to get the really big double walled monitor boxes (our airline allowed 62" max Ht x L x W, and the boxes we had were almost exactly that - but always check with the airline, as these things change...)
I would definately double box your phonograph, even on the plane.
We also mailed all of the rest of our stuff (81 boxes- after thinning out decades worth of accumulation) to General Delivery. Definately keep a list of the boxes with you (our list got packed in the last one of the 81 boxes to arrive, by accident, so we had more surprises when opening our boxes, & 2 of the boxes shipped were to have been donations, not shipped....but that is what happens!).... plus we had liner bags for all of the boxes shipped, to help keep down mustiness we added baggies of moisture absorbers with pinholes added - we used the new crystal kitty litter)