Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dept. of Health, illegel dumping/grubbing
Cat I wonder what Kuba would tell you about the illegal grubbing/dumping?

KEEP PUNA RURAL
Thanks for the research saved me some time.

The law appears to have removed some of the troublesome items found in much older communities with laws written and rewritten over decades. Correction, illegal dumping (unless hazardous waste) is unfortunately only a "petty" misdemeanor. Although there is an additional caveat, it just requires in addition to penalties for petty misdemeanors, that the violator must clean up or pay the cost of the cleanup. The enforcement falls on the police or government employee empowered to issue citations so long as they witnessed the violation.

That leaves the weakest link as enforcement. Using NYC as an example, they said they could expend over $4,000 to catch just one illegal dumper. This is for 2 people (both sworn peace officers) staking out areas hoping to catch a dumper, impounding if seen, testifying and for administrative law cost. That's a hefty expense. The problem was they needed to be where the dumping occurred when it happened. Sometimes they hit pay dirt with several violations, and other times they could go a week without anyone illegally dumping in an area. Even with fines topping almost $5,000 for the combined dumper and owner of the vehicle used for dumping, they expend more than they take in. From a resource point, it was very time consuming with no guarantee of success in any particular area

They said that in the late 80's, they redeveloped the entire direction to put more teeth into prevention through fear. First they impound any vehicle caught dumping and a bond equal to the fine has to be posted to get it back. If the violator fails to pay, the vehicle is auctioned with proceeds going right back into catching other dumpers. If found guilty, they get anything back above the fines (which was not normal)

Second, they implemented the Bounty Program where any citizen willing to act as a complainant can do so and receive up to 50% of the fine as a reward. According to their public affairs office, although dumping is still widespread, the number of complaints from citizens has been steady and high. In some areas, community groups organized illegal dumper watchers and literally have stopped the problem. Since every eye could be a complainant, the risk for dumpers has become too high for some.

Third they actively combed through the refuse to identify who dumped the goods. Often someone paid a company who just dumped it there. Many times they said people would panic and admit they did it when the saw the badge. Evidence could lead them to a target that reduced stakeout time because they knew they wee doing it. By reducing the need for stakeout or chance luck of seeing it, they could concentrate on the commercial dumpers who dropped big loads including hazardous waste.

Now, can Hawaii County do the same? Don't know, what do you think?

In MY Experience, which I have documented. I've mentioned they don't have to people, money or time to investigate ALL the many, many violations. Lucky some of us are here to clean up other stupid humans tricks.
One lot where I had pictures of the truck off loading construction debris from 3-4 of the spec houses he was throwing up.
When I approached the guys dumping, I asked if they were hauling the mess away?
(Wood, tar paper, sheetrock, toxic paint cans, electrical and plumbing(pvc) waste. I got pictures, if it wasn't so utterly F***ed up it would be funny. Middle of the day!
They say it's ok cause it their bosses lot and he's gonna use it as his dump until he gets all his houses built.

NOT

But it took going through every agency on this rock, exhausting that, to the Attorney Generals Office on Oahu.
Special Agent Teddy Chong flew over to this island met with me and went out to inspect that one lot and one other in Hamakua. I was grateful he came and did what he did. But there are dozens of junkyard lots in HPP and you can find one on just about every street, but mine.
I was kinda like what? You cannot look at these other dumps? Nope each and every caseis seperate. With 8800 acre lots butt up to each other it's a daunting task. And i'm sorry but it's not in my budget to drive 137 miles of HPP roads to collect TMK's, take pictures, research.......they wanna hire me? Sorry, I quit first.
Bob I'll be happy to share that peticular case with you. The reason the county doesn't like me is because I keep calling and calling and calling. Petahwabbit like the egenergizer bunny. keep going...
Just can't stand it when people dis'da aina.

SO CALL and COMPLAIN so I'm not the only one, ok?

KEEP PUNA RURAL
Bob your email out of date? chagned?
sent you the case I was speaking of it came back.
Email me your add if you want to see it. Should explain a lot.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
Cat
did you ever call Kuba to see what he'd say to you about this illegal grubbing/dumping?

S342H makes it a Felony to put 10 yds or more illegaly and these lots have had whole albizia forests pushed next door.

let's see if I can attach my open letter, in whick Galen was one of the recieptiants.

no cannot, I'l email it to you.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
I thought 342 pertained to the operation of waste facilities? It appears the law applies to operating an illegal transfer station, landfill, dump site, etc. I would seem to have applied to the example someone gave about a developer using one of their properties to dump waste from their other sites if the developer didn't have a permit to do so.

Regardless, the laws are all there, just that there isn't any real means of enforcing it. From everything I'm reading, it's just part of duties but not anyone’s specific duty. There are many dedicated enforcement agencies throughout the mainland that only handles illegal dumping issues but they also all seem to be in areas where funding is available to create a specific body to handle this. Based on everything I've heard and seen, revenue on the BI is a major problem. The island can't even support the basic services required without subsidies, let alone all the other things everyone wants the county and state to do. With so many needs competing for so few dollars, let's face facts; the government doesn't have the money.

I for one would support a good 100% increase in property taxes and a 25% increase in income taxes, and a 20% increase in sale taxes if it funds the services needed. I have no issue with government asking the people to pick which they want, police or schools; fire protection or museums; environmental protection or road paving; you can’t have everything you want so pick what you feel you must have and shut-up about the rest. But I'm use to the reality that government doesn't have a hidden golden egg laying goose in the basement and that if you want government to spend money to do something; you have to figure out how to pay for it. So, I doubt anyone will want to hear they need to pay if they want more services. And just for those that didn’t know, tourism and the military provides over 50% of Hawaii County revenue for services. Imagine if they were gone what you would be paying in taxes!

I think you're begining to understand, Puna. It's BROKE. You can build a pretty house anywhere.
But don't expect everything else will be set accordingly.
A new neighbor up the street, in one of 12 new houses on that half of my street, 3 years ago about this time, well Oct. he asked me for Halloween how much candy he should for the kids? Huh?
Where?
You see they have the first door bell on the "block", road.
I explained that unless he was inviting some kids and gave them directions there would be no kids going house to house in HPP. At least now halfway down, don't know if they do on 28th or 1st?

Puna needs alot of things, but police and fire are the ones most required in a 911 event. The system to back them up would be a good second. The rest of the stuff you can complain, and I do. And/or as well you can DIY, which I do. I mix cement and wheelborrow it out to the road and fix my potholes, not waiting for the once a year road crew pass and scrape.

Puna is unique. It IS under developed for the amout of population that it has. But if you've lived here long enough, this is all old news.
At least now those planning the move will be a little more informed than those in the mad rush. Many who I've seen pack up and go. Because of the, "lawlessness". They're, there, (the laws) we just need more application.

BOB what's your email? tried to send you one

KEEP PUNA RURAL