Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lockdown at pahoa high AGAIN.
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Originally posted by Punatic007
It would be nice if the King Kam schools spent less on equipment and fancy campuses and more on including all the children of Hawaii as the queen set it up in the first place. She was no racist, married to a caucasian, the kingdom was mixed race.

While the Bishop Estate/Kam Schools has repeatedly been criticized for not spending more of the trust improving student capacity, the will of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop (never Queen right, by her own refusal?) makes it clear for the schools to be "giving the preference to Hawaiians of pure or part aboriginal blood."

http://archives.starbulletin.com/97/08/1...tory2.html

This policy has been repeatedly upheld in the courts, although may come under new scrutiny if the Supreme Court reduces its support for affirmative action programs.

The will also said something to the effect of "To educate the indigent children of Hawaii" I am not claiming these are the exact words in the will, but when I used to follow all those brand spanking new Land Rovers, and Mercedes SUVs to the entrance of the Kam. Keaau campus that phrase always resonated in my mind. There are students on scholarship, but their parents still have to come up with a few grand per child, plus all those other expenses. I know when one of my kids had a virtually full scholarship to an expensive private school on the mainland we still had constant out of pocket expenses, often engineered by wealthy parents who thought $100 per child for dinner and limo's to celebrate 8th grade graduation was chump change, I would guess the situation is similar.