Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
internet service
Well I just got a call back from Oceanic and it turns out the person that took my order was misinformed. Oceanic cable is currently at 20th street in HPP except that they do have cable out on Kaloli point. I told them I've been waiting for 16 years to get hooked up (when at that time they were at 24th). 4 blocks in 16 years (Is that progress?)

Anyway I asked when they would get down this way and they gave me a ballpark figure of 10 years. They said the park has increased in population but they require at least 30 homes in a one square mile area before they can justify laying cable.

I believe anyone below 20th will be out of luck for cable for quite some time.

Lol. It's Hawaiian time. Thank you for your replies. I get impatient I know. We'll be trading the ocean view and a little extra sunshine then for the cable in HPP. Yes, Time Warner has good speeds! Don't know how the latency factor will play out though till we're there and he tries it. Aaron gave me a link to their business packages (my son's a serious online gameer). http://hawaii.twcbc.com/HAWAII/ and click on "Business Solutions." The downstream's the same (5 Mb), but you can get up to 1.5 Mb upstream. Roadrunner doesn't advertise these, but if you ask they'll tell you. It's spendy to get it set up (I think she said $500) unless you can commit to one year or maybe it was three (it's been a couple months since we spoke). For the speed we want, it'll cost about $180 a month (up to five IP's), three times more than we pay here! And then for me to have my own modem, which I have here, I could just get the basic level because that's all I need. So that's another $40 I think. I like having my own modem so my Vonage phone isn't driving him nuts and when Internet goes down, I can take care of my own power cycling without waiting for my son to do it (I work online). He doesn't have any other expensive hobbies (until he weighs enough for paragliding - ouch) , so there you go. Even built his own gaming computer, shopping discount at NewEgg with money he saved. So it's worth it. I just home we can find a long term lease! She'd said one or three years...it's been a few months, so I'll have to look it up.

Aloha,
Cindy
Macuu 222 4 blocks in 16 years (Is that progress?)

Leilani Estates, Hookupu anyone know what is offered there? TV and Intranet

Mahalo

I live in Hawaiian Acres and my property has no land line so I'm forced to use Cingular GSM for internet. Actually, it has the advantage that I can take my laptop with me and get coverage a lot of places-- even warm ponds! ~$65/mo for a 2 year contract.

--Benjamin
I love not having cable. Kids get much more exersice. People are too addictive to TV. If I need the computer dial up is just fine. Takes a little longer but I have more time than money.

We have cable and watch TV about once every two weeks. All of my work is online, and if I used dial-up, I wouldn't be able to get accomplished what I do. Also, my son is a computer whiz. He'll have a great career soon. Different strokes for different folks :-)

Aloha,
Cindy

nnickle: I love not having cable. Kids get much more exersice. People are too addictive to TV. If I need the computer dial up is just fine. Takes a little longer but I have more time than money.