Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition for Internet expansion in Puna
quote:
Originally posted by tinkertailor

Thanks, Aaron. We did use that email address though. He must be very busy right now.

I have the e-mail address for his chief of staff, who is "very" responsive. You'll definately get a response from him.
Thanks. I'll email you and try it.
A court ruling has found internet access is a utility. Haven't really read the pro's and con's, sounds like ISP's aren't in favor of classifying internet access as a utility. It does seem this ruling could bring it under the PUC in time. The problem is the Hawaii PUC doesn't show all that much competence in being able to add internet access to their spaghetti stew style of management.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06...net_a.html

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
franchise agreement with the State was renewed in March 2016

How unfortunate. They were kicking this can down the road for a few years...

The problem is the Hawaii PUC doesn't show all that much competence

Well, yes, that's how we ended up here in the first place.

Ubiquitous internet access would probably grow the economy -- can't have that (unless it's on Oahu).
http://cca.hawaii.gov/catv/files/2016/03...lFinal.pdf

An amusing read; Oceanic/Spectrum can probably be challenged, if anyone wants to waste money arguing with PUC. It was really hard to pick just 3 paragraphs...

OTWC's request to consolidate the East Hawaii and West Hawaii Cable Franchises into a single Cable Franchise covering the entire island of Hawai'i, County of Hawai'i, is granted on the condition that the quality of service will be the same for all areas of Hawaii Island.

Provide a broadband service for low-income consumers in Hawai'i (providing households with children that have a student participating in the National School Lunch Program and seniors, age 65 and older who are eligible and receive federal Supplemental Security Income benefits, with broadband service initially for $14.99/month, at speeds up to 30 Megabits per second ("Mbps") download, and 4 Mbps upload) within three (3) years of the close of the transaction.

During the term of this Cable Franchise, OTWC shall make available to all residents on the Island of Hawaii, its Cable Service, which shall include the minimum programming specified in the following Section N.C. of this D&O. OTWC shall not deny service to any group of potential Subscribers because of the income of the residents of the local area in which such group resides, provided the local area otherwise meets OTWC's twenty-five (25) homes per mile line extension policy and the feasibility provisions set forth in Section IV.R.6. of this D&O.

Thanks to the contact Aaron gave us, we have now heard from Melika Carroll,a policy advisor for Brian Schatz in Washington, responsible for telecommunication issues. She tells us that it is DCCA (Dept of Commerce and Consumer Affairs) rather than PUC who is the responsible partner. She is going to send us an email on Monday with more information which we will share with you all.
quote:
Originally posted by tinkertailor

Thanks to the contact Aaron gave us, we have now heard from Melika Carroll,a policy advisor for Brian Schatz in Washington

No problem. I'm pleased the information I provided you proved helpful.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

20 (or is it 25?) houses per mile

...all the way to your location...

They could run one fiber all the way to Kalapana

Telcom fiber goes to Leilani, will be extended to Seaview "next year" (using Federal "Connect America" grants, of course).

Do you have more details about this Telecom fiber plan to Seaview?
Do you have more details about this Telecom fiber plan to Seaview?

Believe it's a byproduct of the planned Verizon tower, which will need some actual bandwidth.
As promised, Melika Carroll, from Brian Schatz' Washington office, has sent the following information. She told me by phone that it is important that Hawaii DCCA hear from as many consumers as possible so they have the documentation they need to make changes.

Here is the body of her email:

I am sending you links that will provide more information about internet access and the different agencies that keep track of consumer complaints. I encourage you to fill out and submit the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs’ report. They are also the right point of contact for service complaints at the state level.

Please don’t hesitate to call any time if you have any other questions.
Mahalo,
Melika

BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS

For more information about broadband internet access and the different types of technologies available, please refer to this website: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en...-Broadband

STATE OF HAWAII

To help the state track problem areas, please use the following link and fill out the form on the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs’ broadband page where residents may report a broadband unserved area, report challenges to obtaining access to broadband, or share information on broadband speed and coverage in their area: http://cca.hawaii.gov/broadband/contact/

FEDERAL FUNDING FOR INTERNET ACCESS

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 expanded the traditional goal of universal service to include increased access to both telecommunications and advanced services—such as high-speed Internet—for all consumers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. For more information about federal funding for broadband services, please refer to this website: https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/universal-service

HOW COMMUNITIES CAN ACCESS BROADBAND INTERNET

Please refer to this document: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/report/2015/broa...rtnerships