Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stacy Higa Fundraiser - I'm not sold.
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

........Saint Harry Kim had me fooled for a while too -- however, after some direct conversations with him and a look under the surface, our good community will be paying for Harry's colossal mistakes for years to come. His term has been sheltered by the real estate boom that raised valuations and overflowed the County coffer$.
With real estate market prices already 50% of 2 years ago, and still falling, spare change is going to be hard to come by for the next Mayor....

Can you elaborate on a few of the mistakes. Since I value your opinion, James, is there specifics that you would be willing to share?
KapohoKat,

Examples:
First, and mammoth: the wasteful policy of proposing to buy an expensive incinerator. The basis of this policy is stated as "we can't do anything else." What a failure! especially given that nothing else has been given a serious and intelligent consideration.
Next: the Hele-On bus system is now basically a free shuttle service for low-paid and desparate workers from Ka'u and Puna to travel to Waikaloa so that employers there can have cheap labor and make big money from it. What about bus service for workers in Hilo? the schedules just don't allow it now. What about business development in Puna and Ka'u so there are good livelihoods there? No priority at all.

Police recruiting? Police Commission's failure to deal with abuses by / corruption of Officers?
Police enforcement priorities? ... harass, arrest, and abuse people (including children!) with so-called 'marijuana eradication', while speeders, drunkards, and other irresponsibles kill and maim innocents on our roads.

All of the above the Mayor can impact; and all of them Mayor Harry Kim has completely fumbled.
He's a nice man who was a good Civil Defense Director, and who appears to not have a clue about what's going on in rural Hawaii Island.

And, in general, what can be pointed to, especially outside of Hilo and Kohala that has been done with all the money the County's been receiving in this boom?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park