Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to bring in a container?
If you are moving to acreage, fencing materials of superior galvanized quality if you plan on fencing or a gate. The heavier the gauge, or thickness, and quality off the galvanizing on posts are questionable here, for some reason. If you find a deal on the mainland even better. A good electric jackhammer may be something to look into as well to make "dirt" out of your land!

Community begins with Aloha
If you are buying a place.. here you can fill it with home improvement items . Misc. Lumber, green house... etc. Lumber and building materials are outrageous here.. anything you think you might need in the immediate future.
Not to be argumentative but last time I checked the Hawaii Home Depot price book is the same price book as California.

I kinda liked the Trader Joe's suggestion. I could see a farmer's market booth of Trader Joe's stuff selling out quick.... you could meet a lot of folks that way too.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
California isn't cheap on anything. I've lived in Michigan, Ohio,Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, California and alaska. Oddly enough, California was higher in price on a lot of things... compared to the other states... even alaska.

As an after thought.. its not the cost of the item..its the labor cost involved in processing and putting it on a truck ,container, barge. It all depends on how good the union is I guess.
Thanks everyone. I am shipping a small cargo trailer, which is one of the reasons we are shipping the container in the first place. We are also bringing some construction materials (flooring @ $1.49 per sf for hardwood as opposed to $5+ in HI). Fence is already done, but that would have been a good idea too. I needed the fence done first because I'm bringing dogs and want to protect my property from pigs. I looked into the 20' container route too but to ship the 20' plus a vehicle ends up being more than shipping a 40' container. Hmmm, greenhouse and other materials might be something to think about. Thanks again!
One other thing, if people are still following this thread. Any recommendations for a trucker who can pick up my container from the port in Hilo when it arrives and bring it to Fern Forest?
Conens Freight to move your container.

Young Brothers will only store your container for free for two business days. After that, you pay their *INSANE* storage fees. So plan on getting the container moved ASAP after delivery:

http://htbyb.com/wp-content/uploads/tari...df#page=37

eta: link to storage fees, also, we had to store our container for about 45 days. Rather than paying YB $4k or whatever to store it, we had the shipment intercepted in HNL and paid $26 a day to store it there.
Totally agree on Conen's. We used them on our 40 footer and they got it to us when they said and got it back to Matson on time. Also the drivers had a great talk story time to welcome you to the Big Island!
Gotta be Conens - Ask for Scooby!