Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood burning and air quality
I seriously doubt that the County would respond so efficiently to such a complaint, but the "different dept." bit made me laugh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8bODcFfAQ

quote:
Originally posted by randomq

I never realized camp fires were so hated.

We have one every other month or so, though we live in HA on 3 acres with no immediate neighbors. Rest assured a marshmallow or Portuguese sausage is always at hand!

cooking fires are permitted. It's the trash burners that are
Making people sick.
At first we thought it might be dinner prep bc it's always at dinnertime.-- you're allowed to burn wood if you have a grill over your fire I hear -- but then we realized there's never the smell of food cooking! No, i think it's yard waste or maybe someone is torching growth off the lava.

I used to love the smell of a fire, until I became asthmatic.( My doctor said there are more asthmatics here than most places.) Now it's a serious interruption of my health and requires me to use rescue inhaler or nebulizer. All the neighbors are talking about it right now bc it's so strong, filling our houses w smoke. That's another reason I'm thinking they might be torching brush. Green makes more smoke than dried wood. Luckily nothing tonight.

Seeb, not sure it's from 4th but will pay attn next time w that in mind. We're on makuu deadend.
With the spread of semi-slugs, fire ants, ROD and god-knows-what-next, bringing cart loads of green (or brown) waste to dump to be mulched is foolhearty. Even if people were 98% compliant about checking/killing, there would still be proliferation even as pieces blow or fall off truck. The best thing the County could do is have "burn days" as many ag communities do, then those who have sensitivities can be prepared and those clearing vegetation to create fewer homes for other pests, can do so legally.
Here's the rules (thanks to someone on FB): http://health.hawaii.gov/news/files/2013/05/12-011.pdf i.e., you can only burn on ag land with a permit.
No burn policy's have proven to be poor forest management.
Maybe rotating zones where you can get a permit to burn a couple times a year in Ag areas, sensitive people can leave for the day and the fire department can stack resources in the area