Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some schools to start serving fresh food.
cafeteria workers aren't paid enough to meticulously scan each local produce item for slug trails and pinhead sized baby slugs.

The title of this thread and news story is:
Some schools to start serving fresh food.

It isn't "Keaau High School to Start Serving Lettuce Grown in Puna District."

Keaau High School has 871 students. I don't believe there are any farms in Puna Distract that can provide 871 portions per day of salad ingredients or vegetable side dish. Farms in Waimea and on the Hamakua Coast are large enough to meet that demand. They already drive truckloads of produce to the high end resorts on the Kona Coast, and ship pallet loads of vegetables every day out of Hilo Airport to the other islands. So most likely any vegetables purchased by Keaau High will come from Waimea or Hamakua District, not Puna.

WAIMEA AND HAMAKUA DISTRICT DO NOT HAVE A RAT LUNGWORM PROBLEM.

Vegetables from those areas of the island will not need to be thoroughly inspected by a kitchen worker whether they make $40,000 a year or are an unpaid volunteer. If people who stay in a $300 a night resort are safely eating this produce, Keaau High students should be just as free from danger.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

Then I thought, here comes a surge of rat-lung. Maybe not though. Those kids rarely eat anything green.

But they smoke plenty of green stuff. A mild case of rat lung would probably go unnoticed, or just shrugged off as some bad weed.

Seriously, it is good news.[Smile]
HoTPE, you make a good point but I'm not 100% convinced. Perhaps an expensive multi-year study of Waimea and Hamakua lettuce is in order. Especially if it is organic! Big Grin
... multi-year study of Waimea and Hamakua lettuce is in order. Especially if it is organic! Big Grin

Rats! But hopefully trapped in a logical fallacy.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I hear they like to hide in straw men and eat red herring...
So HOTPE you say, "WAIMEA AND HAMAKUA DISTRICT DO NOT HAVE A RAT LUNGWORM PROBLEM."

Is that because there are no slugs in Waimea?
I'm not sure I buy that. All it takes is one sluggy hitchhiker from infested Puna.

Also we know what the title of the thread is, you don't have to point it out, and talking about the possibility of ratlung and (Puna bought) produce, is directly related. I don't think a new thread has to be started for such a related topic.