Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siesta no longer available in 2 pound jugs
May want to vacuum pack it.
-------
Not needed!
I've been writing the date of when I opened the Siesta on the container, the efficacy never changed even after a year, or if it changed, it wasn't significant. I didn't do anything "special" to store it other than keeping it inside, out of the elements, out of direct sun, and minimizing the amount of time the lid was unscrewed.

I didn't have the same results with Amdro or the other brands, they might have been technically effective but they no longer baited the LFA shortly after the containers were opened.

The issue with these colony-killing (not fast acting) granules seems to be less about the effectiveness of the poison but more about how attractive the granules are to the ants. They were all developed for "Fire Ants" which are much larger and physically carry the granules into the colony where they feast on them. These granules are larger than LFA and they cannot move them. They suck the poisoned oils out of the granules and carry the toxin inside their bodies where they share them with the colony less directly. I don't know why Siesta is the best, it just is. It was also the highest rated from the Hawaii Ant Lab (last I looked), even though the Advion-based poison (in theory) could be more effective. There is something different about the baiting action of Siesta that makes it a superior product and worth the higher price.