Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's allow some native species to become extinct
What if "some species" kills off humans?
What is the difference?

Can you name a species capable of doing that? Besides "some other humans?"

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

What if "some species" kills off humans?
What is the difference?

Can you name a species capable of doing that? Besides "some other humans?"

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18

The one species most likely to do that is homo-sapiens.

Of course a virus could do it as well...
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Humans ARE the virus.
MarkD, Thanks for posting this thought provoking article. The NY times comments are worth reading too.

Check out this quote-can you imagine a modern Republican saying something similar? “Nothing is more priceless and more worthy of preservation than the rich array of animal life with which our country has been blessed,” President Nixon said while signing the act. (Endangered Species)

You're welcome, Durian Fiend. The paper consistently does good work. It is a very in-depth story.
most flora and fauna that are no longer here...evolved into something else... period...
ie on average a single plant makes it here to Hawaii and lives on to reproduce... once every 20,000 years! (10X jesus)
of those 300+ colonizations over 60,000,000 years... they have evolved into well over 1,000 different plants that science knows about in historic times.... many going extinct or evolving in the million of years before humans made it here to know about them... aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
It's likely that our "not saving" some of the particular species will have undesirable consequences for us in the future.

The bigger problem is letting the ecosystem go out of balance while we "study" the problem.

ROD is a good example -- yes, it's worth understanding it, and preventing it, but at some point we also need to backfill the watershed with something compatible, because loss of the watershed will be far worse than extinction of a single species therein.