Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: CoH Civil Defense web site
@HOTPE - there is no need to build a SO2 website - these are DOH monitors tied into their pre-existing reporting servers. They've just been restricted so only CD can see the data and choose to "inform" us when they see fit. Having asked several people who were supposed to know, and never have been given an actual reading, it's unclear to me what the monitoring actually consists of.

@Eric1600 - We seem to be talking past each other on some level. I understand that there is a variety of internal nomenclatures and jargon used behind the scenes that likely slipped through into a public release. It's just one of several examples where the information provided was not just out-of-date or vague, but downright confusing.

For on the ground activities, I will say that getting access through the checkpoints has been a CF at times, with differing information being given by CD or PD simultaneously. Many people have given similar accounts. To be clear, this is not a critique of the the actual emergency response, which as you said, has kept people safe.

If CD is almost exclusively focused on emergency response, then maybe they should allow USGS, or the Mayor's Office, to act as the public-facing entity for the operation. That way the messaging can be made clear and questions answered by the relevant experts instead of CD trying to appear to know everything and failing repeatedly in the process. IMHO
quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining so much.

If you can actually say that with a straight face then you obviously do not live in Leilani Estates. You are one of those people on the outside looking in who has no clue what they are talking about
Has Magno made a public or media appearance in the last 24-hrs?

PS. Eric1600, have you actually watched Magno's public appearances and interviews? I'm quite sure civil defense staff are doing all they are able to do, but Magno exhibits utter incompetence. These are times when you want someone in charge of CD that shows leadership. This guy shrugs his shoulders and looks as though he's going to have a giggle-fit. He's representing CD to us and the rest of the world. And he's making us a joke.
It was going quite well until Magno showed up. Shouting "we're pretty sure" multiple times from this giggling idiot does not give reassurance.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/0...cials-say/
Anyone have the time to post a transcript of Magno's talk? I'm still stunned after watching the video.
http://reflect-vod-naleo.cablecast.tv/vo...igh-v1.mp4

Here is the entire meeting.
Your tax dollars hard at work for your protection.The Civil Defense had HELCO cut power to all homes in Leilani Estates within the NEW evacuation zone with no notice to anyone. The Verizon tower falls within this zone. It has been running on generator. Hope hey let the guy in to put in more gas".

That's another serious mistake by CD that literally puts lives in danger. That tower serves more than Leilani Estates.