Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wheelabrator Survey was not Scientific
quote:
Originally posted by jime98532

...If Wheelabrator owns land on the island, they wouldn't want to crap it up, would they????

Change the word Wheelabrator to any company that emits crap into the air.... Of course they wouldn't want to.... however, they would.
-------
Moved
Still haven't heard any new suggestions about how to deal with the landfill! Be a good contract, digging to the bottom, test and pump it out, and maintain a pumping station! And when the effluent comes up hot, at least with mercury(like in tuna), the EPA will be here in force!
The final result of all this will be tax raises! How about a hi5 solution to everything we buy(including internet purchases)! It worked with cigarettes, simply record all web buys, and enforce the "package 5". It would also cover the GET!

Nothing the state likes better than taxes! And with the demise in tourism, the tax raises on houses in Puna is only a start! We have to pay the good council better, where else can the money come from! Mabe the coucil is getting the word about ecology, someone told them to get more green, and they did, 20% more green!

Gordon J Tilley
[/quote]I don't have a horse in this race, other than I would like to see a workable solution to garbage and energy.
[/quote]

And that's where this whole thing fell apart. Be it for or against, what is it being evaluated against? When I showed this to some Solid waste officials I know on the mainland, to get their opinions, they all asked that. The consensus was there's a solid waste problem that needs to be addresses. Wheelabrator's project was just A solution. But what else was being considered as a solution? Where's all the other research material for curbside waste pickup, recycling, community transfer/sorting stations, public/private solutions, etc, etc. To put their assessment mildly, this WTE incinerator was a solution that the support was tailored towards. In the grand picture, the current problem needed a solution; the WTE solution was Option 25, but where's 1 - 24?

A WTE incinerator may end up being the most viable solution, but until everything else is researched, how will we ever know?
There is nothing else, a little recycling venture (open weekends only) nothing else, either planned or in operation! They killed the big bad wolf (WB), and have frozen Geothermal, which makes everyone proud they kicked sand in the face of 2 corporations!
I think we'll wait till EPA comes along with a big boot, then we'll move on it!
Plus now there's some new wonder company who has passed legislature which might help the folks who paid 50K for a solar setup, get a little better deal from Helco! Great investment, if you like Bulletin Board stock, but it aint their money!
Sorry to sound so negative, but not much hope for any progress, somthings wrong with everything!
Gordon J Tilley