Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki & Mackenzie to reopen
much egged on by our environmentalists

You speak of environmentalists as if they don't represent your interests.. which of course only shows how little you know.. or care.. for the world around you. Sad.
Environment regulations are important, but too many are a problem. IMO and that of some other people, of course. It is a divisive issue, spanning everything from shoreline projects to building roads into nature areas for public use.

Many nations build piers, jetties, swimming lagoons, artificial beaches for public use. These amenities are much beloved worldwide. There are few in Hawaii.

When I used to live on Oahu, I frequented Magic Island, a large and extraordinarily beautiful shoreline project built in the 1960s. It used to crack me up to hear environmentalists say They could never build another one of these because of the regulations we helped enact. And sometimes you would see them there enjoying the park like everyone else.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+island.++hawaii&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGh5m39tHdAhUB658KHae8DrQQ_AUIDygC&biw=1252&bih=646

Great thing Magic Island was built before environmentalists got in charge. Today you can't build a project 1/100 of this size in Hawaii.
glinda says:
We sold our soul beaches to the highest bidders. And Pele took what was left.

glinda also says:
As it is, I personally do not go near sea level if I can in anyway avoid it

pre-glinda also also says:
Has anyone considered that whatever Kilauea does it is a good thing?... Why is it that nobody is making positive statements about the current situation?

It certainly is a complex situation. We witnessed living geology in real time, it’s affects on humanity and the implications that enveloped the daily lives of our neighbors and friends living in Puna, with their work, family, recreation, and more.

Should people “know better” than to live and build in the LRZ? Even crazier to reside at sea level? Did homeowners and hotels steal beaches (dangerous sea level beaches where visitors should know better?) from swimmers and surfers, or did they provide jobs for builders, cleaners, yard workers, and provide additional access for visitors who stayed in vacation rentals and hotel rooms, then go out all day to scatter money across the islands in restaurants, grocery stores, and gift shops?

It’s complicated. One size certainly will not fit all.

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Re Obie comments about the new Puna shore's limitations for ocean recreation. And he posted this: "State Parks Caretaker KyleTakeya explained, “There is a powerful undertow at these beaches and a swimmer or boarder could easily be swept out to sea.”

That pretty much sums of the case for all of the new beaches and pockets of sand we see in the 11 minute Pohoiki Assessment-Media Clips that Obie posted.

It's a rough, dangerous shoreline. Maybe OK on a calm day, maybe mostly OK for strong swimmers.

That's the whole reason communities--well, some communities anyways--build coastal swimming lagoons. Ahalanui, which was more of a hot pond than a swimming lagoon, was man-made.