Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CDC says no masks needed for fully vaccinated people
What I got out of the article I linked to was that the virus can attach to ANY size particle and travel WAY further than they originally thought.

So maybe even "real" masks can't stop the virus from getting through. But I'm still going to wear one because in seems to me that they would at least slow it down or decrease the amount.

I am now WAY more aware of paths of infection and taking precautions such as avoiding people, cutting down on visits to public places, washing my hands more, etc.

So it may not have been the mask that prevented me from getting a cold... could have been any of the above... or just luck!
The virus has never become well established on the Big Island, just a few isolated outbreaks limited to spreading among close contacts. In most cases mask wearing has probably been unnecessary. Nevertheless, a wise precautionary measure to take while vaccines weren't available.
(05-17-2021, 11:37 PM)1voyager1 Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 05:48 PM)Chas Wrote: ,,, I have noticed that I didn't get sick at all last year. Usually I would have had at least 2 colds.

Without much of any doubt, the wearing of masks will have had a pronounced effect in reducing ALL respiratory infections including flu, colds and similar.
Don't remember where, but I have seen something confirming/suggesting flu reduction.

@ kalianna

I didn't get sick from the shot.
Just slept a lot the next 2-3 days.
Seem to be back pretty much to normal now.
Tiredness was the first item in the side effects list.
With the second shot having more pronounced effects.
That I can attest to.
It also is a strong indicator that the shot was definitely having an effect on my immune system.
So it may not have been the mask that ...

As someone once said, Nobody Ever Gets Credit for Fixing Problems that Never Happened.  In the case of COVID, we can’t know what would have happened on Big Island if we didn’t wear masks, unless we didn’t wear masks.  Even with 20/20 hindsight, it was probably a good decision to require masks based on all the available info at the outset of the pandemic including early reports of a rapid spread in Italy.  Now we have the ongoing tragedies in India and Brazil, both countries with a lackadaisical COVID response.
Revised CDC guidelines recommend masks for vaccinated people who live in a county with high community spread.

Check the current status of your county here - https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view
Fully vaccinated people who get a breakthrough infection can transmit the virus, CDC director says.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/coronav...536828ea1e