Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild pigs and our pets
I will share a secret.... If you want to get rid of the gaimy flavor, add a touch of cinnamon, adds a nutty flavor, and gets rid of the game flavor. out of most wild game.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
Dave, I think more pigs have been taken with the .22 than any other calibre. The .17 HMR is a smaller bullet than the .22 mag but much faster. It should work as well for the ear shot. While the .22 is considered inadequate by many I would think the 45-70 would be gross overkill. In most situations, I think the .22 is sufficient, but in examples such as the previously linked YouTube video, bigger would be better due to the environment. In such closed in brush where you have to get real close to see the pig, something bigger would be nice. A 30-30 should be fine. A .44 mag carbine with a heavy bullet should work well. I have a little Browning BLR in .308 that I may bring. A bit overkill for pigs but capable of some range for the goats. I do also have a .44 mag marlin lever carbine but I don't know how many guns I want to bring, with the State of Hawaii having such a strong interest in what I have. I would be interested in a 45-70 for bear, but Jerry might object.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.