Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates
Bob,

I will try to address your concerns in detail below.
Sorry you don't like them. That happens. However, several of your statements are simply misrepresenting what I said.

My information is from research where these policies have been used.
I am not sure where you are getting yours.

These do NOT cost more -- experience has shown it:
#1 & #2.

#3 perhaps you missed the point; but, sure, no public money paid to criminals whether they are contractors or community organizations or whatever. The legislation I mentioned is a well-established approach.

#4 most often this is a positive revenue generator.

#5 "what’s the difference between a polystyrene food container and a polystyrene shipping container?" the shipping container does not get put in the landfill or blow into the street and then the ocean -- and that is a big difference.

#6 You obviously do not know how this policy works or you would not have made the statement you did. The purpose and outcomes of this type of legislation result in reduced costs for local governments.

#7 The issue addressed is this: Once land is zoned out of agriculture it never returns and that has been a big problem.

#8 & #9. can substantially be done by redirecting existing funds.

#10. As I initially stated, user fees for (GOOD QUALITY) transit and recreational services are two that have been proven. Are you familiar with situations where "fees for residential homes?" are proven to cover some kind of services?

[/quote]

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

able to approach him with such ideas and expect a civil and genuine reception for discussion.
My experience ... Can't say about any of the other candidates for ...Council.

Oops, correction about my "experience" with "the other candidates".

Mr. Safarik's abusive reception on our first and last appointment in 2003 did nothing to encourage me to "expect a civil and genuine reception for discussion." Quite the contrary, I realized after reading my post above and being reminded that Gary is (?) a candidate in the 'Puna Council Race' ...

Ms Naeole always welcomes mana'o from me and, to my observation, from anyone else who is civil and genuine in their concerns.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
James, It might be a good time for you to share your thoughts with Emily again.

After yesterday's Council Planning Committee hearing the PCDP is headed for collapse under the rafts of amendments Emily and Chris Yuen are proposing. Instead of coming out of committee yesterday it is not delayed to July 30th. This is a strategy for the PCDP to not get approved and there is a question as to whether Emily understands that.

It is possible for the council to approve the PCDP Final Draft and deal with amendments later.

If these 12th hour amendments are to be dealt with now it has to go back to the SC then back to the PC then back again to the CCPC before it arrives at a new council in 2009.

Talk to Emily. Let us know what you find out.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I received an email recently from Tiffany Hunt Edwards assuring that Councilwoman Naeole would support the Puna CDP. No mention was made of proposed amendments, though. I will email and ask for clarification.

Rob, could you fill us in on the content and intended effect of these amendments? I trust you to summarize them accurately. Is there, or will there be, a link available to see them on line?

I will be tremendously disappointed if the PCDP ends up getting gutted by special interests or people who chose not to participate, but now think they know better. I think it is a workable and appropriate blueprint for Puna's future. Not perfect by any means, but more than good enough. And yes, I have taken a good look at it on line. I especially like the sections on transportation, land use, and village center development in the larger subdivisions.

Cheers,
Jerry
One problem with this amendment tactic is that it is last minute, the scale and scope of them have not been distributed, and that they are numerous enough to drag the whole thing down.

From what I have seen some of the amendments make sense, others seem arbitrary and there are others I haven't seen yet.

It seems very inappropriate to be submitting so many amendments at this stage of the effort.

By all means, any and all of you contact Emily and see what kind of logic you can get from her. Emily Naeole <enaeole@co.hawaii.hi.us>

If the PCDP is approved then amendments can be made later. If there is no PCDP then amendments mean nothing.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Aloha Rob,

I too hope to hear from our Council rep and, as ever, encourage any one who cares to do the same.
I testified at the Planning Committee meeting yesterday.
It was not one of Hawaii County Council's finer moments.

Amendments?
These were ghosts being vaguely referred to.
The Council members had only just received them.
Classic what is NOT done to accomplish something.
Sadly -- pathetically! -- it appeared to me, sitting in that room yesterday, the circus had been brought to town by the once-and-no-longer powerful interests who really and truly thought they could pull off such a silly stunt! To these folks: Get over it! Influence and decision-making power in Puna is no longer concentrated in the hands and pocketbooks of a few.

No Amendments?
This could be / be-seen-to-be a bit knee-jerk and could even come back to kick the people who promote it. e-z brah...
Remember the Bill of Rights?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park