Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 ft Shipping Container
We used Honolulu Freight out of Seatlle & were pleased with them. They took 2 crates we made. I don't know if they have premade pods though. Keep an eye on craigslist for used crates and pods. We found two for cheap the day after we finished building our crates, figures!

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Konadave,thank you very much for your advice.

It was helpful.The interesting part was that the moving company guys offered you to try and find "container buddy" (as one of PW-ers called it).
What moving companies did you use?

quote:
Originally posted by lquade
... we built platforms in our 20 footer and brought a car, all the furniture and some items you just cant get here for a reasonable price

Lquade,can you describe the platforms?
I can not build them,but may be I can ask a professional to do it.I can hardly imagine that you fit all of your stuff and the car in 20 ft container.Looks like a Guinness record!
well stillhope wish i had taken a pic. they were simple... a full sheet of plywood almost makes it sideways. you just have to trim off the end a bit. the outside of the container is 8x8x20 but the inside if i remember is something like 7'6'. first we did basically a table on the back, taking up the first 4 feet (width of sheet of plywood) with 4 legs about 4 feet high coming down. we totally packed this top shelf and used ropes to tie it in tight.(the container is full of tie on. then we drove in the totally packed car)except the drivers seat. the hood of the car goes in under the table. it was the hard part and scarey, i was driving, my husband was directing i got within 4 inches. we put cardboard and styrofoam along the side. then we took pieces of 2x4 and screwed them to the wood floor behind the tires so the car couldnt move. then we totally packed the drivers seat, and under the car for long stuff, fishing poles, mops, shovels, rakes, anything long and not too wide.between the hood of the car and bottom of shelve we packed blankets, clothes stuff that would scratch the car., we built another table over the car, oops forgot you need to put those legs in before the car, anyway you just keep going like that. we even brought a huge tv antennai hung up with ropes over the car (we dont have cable) you would be amazed how much will fit if you are careful. another hint is to get as many boxes of the same size as possible so they stack tight with no lost space... good luck
Lquade, thank you for such a detailed explanation You a packing genius!
I just have an average packing IQ..[Smile]
when I moved from just OAhu to the Big Island. I used a moving company from Honolulu(never again). The guy came out to do the estimate. He told me about $2000.00, but in fact when it was all said and done it was more like $3300.00 plus more headaches than you can imagine. I wrapped most everything myself too. Had I let moving company do it for me,well I don't even wanna think of how much these jerks would have charged me!

I had this price, plus you can't even imagine what I left behind. Anything with wood was left behind. I didn't wanna bering Honolulu termites with me. So more than half of contents were left behind, yet I still paid close to $3500. to go neighbor island!? I"m still extremely pissed about that years later.
When do you plan to make your move here? I know you said you're moving here later than originally planned. But you stated lenders didn't plan it out? Isn't that part your responsibility? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!