Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana Laws Are Discriminatory
Nice list - BUT the oldest was 1994 - the latest 1998 - it is NOW 2009 - what happened?

Don't give me the BS that it was the conservative wing that shut down information - Clinton was President and things don't change overnight!

Could it be that a different VIEW has surfaced with more up to date information/studies?

I am VERY tired of the pot topics and ALL the energy it consumes not only on Punaweb but everywhere.

LEGALIZE it - whatever - it will be condemned and exalted for ALL it's virtues and sins as alcohol is now!

Give it a rest - HAWAII - the USA - the WORLD - has more an it's plate then wether or not they should/can toke up!

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
Menehune,

There's been a large amount of research since then. Norml.org or marijuananews.com are good sources for documentation.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice to re-legalize it and move on? Unfortunately, this is an important issue as cannabis and drug prohibition inflict severe harm on our society and corrupts our institutions.

Well, Obama says, "Anything is possible". I hope the American people take him at his word.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
rbaker,

Here's a good place to start.

lewrockwell.com/orig5/armentano-p1.html

"Unlocking a Cure for Cancer – With Pot

by Paul Armentano

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site

Who could imagine that cannabis might one day offer hope as a cure for cancer? The United States government, that’s who.

For the past 30 years, U.S. officials have willfully ignored clinical research indicating that marijuana can inhibit the growth of certain type of malignant tumors. However, the recent publication of a trio of clinical studies and a pair of scientific reviews have effectively blown the lid off "Cancergate," and revealed that pot’s medical value may be far greater than ever presumed.

THE EMERGING EVIDENCE

Last year, five scientific journals published prominent articles trumpeting cannabinoids (compounds in marijuana) as potential anti-cancer agents.

These include:

* Clinical trial data published in January 2003 issue of the Journal of the American Society of Clinical Investigation that found cannabinoids significantly inhibit skin tumor growth in mice. Investigators of the study concluded, "The present data indicate that local cannabinoids administration may constitute an alternative therapeutic approach for the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancer."

* Clinical trial data published in the March 2003 issue of The FASEB Journal that found that the "local administration of a non-psychoactive cannabinoid inhibits angiogenesis (tissue growth) of malignant gliomas (brain tumors)."

* A clinical review in the October 2003 issue of the prestigious journal Nature Reviews Cancer that concluded that cannabinoids’ "favorable drug safety profile" and proven ability to inhibit tumor growth make them desirable agents in the treatment of cancer. According to the review’s author, tumors inhibited by cannabinoids include: lung carcinoma, glioma, thyroid epithelioma, lymphoma/leukemia, skin carcinoma, uterus carcinoma, breast carcinoma, prostate carcinoma, and neuroblastoma (a malignant tumor originating in the autonomic nervous system or the adrenal medulla and occurring chiefly in infants and young children).
* Clinical trial data published in the November 2003 issue of the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics that found the administration of the cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) inhibits the growth of human glioma cells both in vitro (e.g., a petri dish) and in animals in a dose-dependent manner. Investigators concluded, "Non-psychoactive CBD produce[s] a significant antitumor activity both in vitro and in vivo, thus suggesting a possible application of CBD as an antineoplastic agent (something which prevents the growth of malignant cells.)"

* And finally, a clinical review in the December 2003 issue of the journal Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets that summarized "the demonstrated antitumor actions of cannabinoids," and elaborated on "possible avenues for the future development of cannabinoids as antitumor agents."

Just google, "marijuana cures cancer" or add the word cannabis to your list.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Using the "Medical Marijuana" issue as a reason to legalize would be like saying medical alcohol should have been touted as the reason for ending prohibition. Let's get real. People want it legalized because they like it, and to continue its prohibition after all we know is a crime. Never forget that just like alcohol, the drug is dangerous when in the hands of the wrong people. I know a person who lights up more than 15 times a day and while she's just 21, her brain is already fried and she's coughing her lungs out. It will eventually destroy her. As for myself, I'm pushing 62 and one of my numerous goals in life is to be able to sip whisky when I'm 100; and I have a better chance of success through moderation, not abuse.
How is this case of the guy that got discriminated against on a recent cruise through the islands:

http://damontucker.com/2009/05/03/discri...and-visit/

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs
You never know a person's destiny. There was a time when I was very young that I was smoking quite a bit of pot. (Not as much as your young friend.) But, as Kathy writes, psychedelics had shown me a new dimension to 'reality'--combined with Ram Dass' book, Be Here Now, in which I learned that acid et al wouldn't take me where I wanted to go in a lasting way, so I wanted to begin meditating. Because TM insisted one be smoke free for 2 weeks I stopped smoking pot. I turned to yoga and meditation and still practice these. I also love to, upon, occasion smoke some lovely ganja which reminds me of my spiritual goal and helps to open me to the love and creativity that is always all around me. When I forget, it helps me remember. Blessed sacrament.

One interesting thing about pot is that it contains cannabinoids... and so do humans!

Years ago an incredible woman from Oakland ran the history of marijuana by me and also told me the amazingly long list of uses for it. Many natural herbs have multiple uses--look in any herb book. Plants have been the basis for multitudes of pharmaceutical drugs (including aspirin). If you know your history and herbal lore it is obvious that, just as the Bible says, plants were created for food and medicine. Every vegetable also has health-inducing properties, i.e. tomatoes=lycopene and broccoli and other cruciferous vegs have anti-cancer properties, etc. This is not unusual.

Therefore, to find that marijuana has innumerable health benefits is hardly suspect.

I think the study that is most fascinating is the Swedish study that finds marijuana shrinks tumors. Maitake mushrooms also do this. And other naturally occurring substances do, too.

Remember, it is documented that people have killed themselves by drinking too much water. Although there is no documentation that anyone has ever died of smoking too much pot. The mind also clears after one slows down pot use.

I, like KathyH, have multiple higher degrees. I also know several doctors, lawyers and business people who have smoked pot since college days who are brilliant and responsible individuals. I will take a pot-smoking doctor any day over one who is a drinker. Also, the same with drivers. Stoned people usually drive V-E-R-Y slowly. Anyone who takes other drugs and alcohol mixed with pot, well, then, of course, the influence of the other drug takes over. All bets off there.

I agree that all things in moderation is an excellent motto. The way of the Buddha.

april
april
"Marijuana.....makes you behave!"....Jerome Garcia
Another example of a law born of greed, corruption, pathological control, and filthy lies that's gone stark raving mad.