Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana Legalization Dilemma
this old hippy thinks the issue of all drug use can be solved by the concept of personal freedom and personal responsibility. The legal concepts of diminished responsibility because of drug use should get tossed, if you commit an assult "cause you was on da ice" you don't get a lesser sentence....go ahead smoke, drink, drop what you wan't but no excuses for your actions...when you kill someone driving drunk it's not man-1 it's murder...well you get the picture, easy to understand and easy to apply.

woof woof woof
lurking in darkness, maggo's stump wags in anticipation
quote:
Originally posted by centipede

I guess cable news is wrong, then. Also, these are FBI "preliminary" reports, and I'm wondering if they are just FBI people or regular cops all over the country, DEA, and FEDERAL TROOPS operating in foreigh countries....
The current number stands at 143 law enforcement officers (local, county, state & federal) killed in the US of which 28 were "drug related". 54 were traffic accidents resulting from non-criminal (MV accidents, traffic control, falls, OTJ illness, etc) actions. So yes, the news story is wrong if they are saying that more US law enforcement officers were killed in the war on drugs than American service members in Iraq!
Bob, if your numbers are correct, law enforcement is a much safer profession than I would ever have imagined, and I support your right to believe government statistics rather than anything that's reported by the national news media.
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2007/index.html

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Topic is:Marijuana Legalization Dilemma

First Posting was:

quote:
Originally posted by centipede

Arguments for marijuana legalization are sound but frustratingly irrelevant because whomever has the power makes the laws and when you think about it, even the mighty United States of America does not have the ultimate power to effectively do so even if the people in this great democracy screamed for it and the government itself wanted it.

The War on Drugs is global rather than domestic and it has to be addressed on that level. All issues need to be worked out and because of this, a successful repeal would require international cooperation and lots of pragmatism.

And that's about it...

Which talks about the "Globalization" of the problem - but not ONE posting addresses this? NOT even mine. The topic moved every which way even to wether or not we can believe the "National Media" or "U.S. Government"? [?]

Two questions - one sarcastic and one relevant you chose how to respond:

It is a known fact that most statistics/studies can be skewed to represent the point of view of the skewer - AND there are PLENTY of both on BOTH sides of this issue.
PaulW posted:
"Uh-oh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7869709.stm?lss"

and nobody responded - Why? Doesn't support your point of view? It's the "National Media"! [Wink]

How do we answer the initial question of "Globalization" - maybe we can't and still keep it within the parameters of PUNAWEB? [|)]

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
The bbc article identified the study as preliminary and needing a larger study. That made it interesting and nothing more. My comment would be that the greatest risk appears to be to males in puberty. They shouldn't be smoking regardless the legality. That appears to be a major issue in Puna as well as many other areas.

The original post was not a question but a statement of opinion. I agree that it is a global problem. If change is desired, it would need to be addressed in the state and national laws as well as in international agreements. County ordinances that would obviously affect Puna may also need to be addressed.
Happy?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by oink
"Happy?"

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Most of the TIME! [Wink]

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns