Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EARTHQUAKE
Hey Guys, let's not forget that Mauna Loa erupts in cycles of 25 years or less, and the last eruption was 25 years ago...
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maunaloa/history/...table.html

Every 25 years? Not true at all.

Having an almost constant eruption (from Kilauea) and frequent earthquakes could be a good sign,
less chance pressures are building up.
The constant eruption, I think that makes sense it takes pressure off, although they say the two volcanoes have separate magma sources. So far, in recent times, Mauna Loa has erupted once (1984) while Kilauea was erupting, yes?

My DH who is an amateur follower of the geology thinks that the quakes signify magma moving around, but he's not a scientist. However, I don't think volcanic quakes function to take pressure off the same way a faultline shift quake does. Usually eruptions are preceded by swarms of quakes ... often very minor but very frequent.

I seem to remember it was 2003 that there was much speculation about Mauna Loa because of the earthquake swarms plus inflation, but it came to nothing.
A lava belch?
I wouldn't make Pele angry suggesting a lady such as her is capable of belching [Big Grin]
Correct. She is just breathing....fire.
I stand corrected. Serves me right for not double-checking what I had read. An early March article celebrated the 25th anniversary of the last time it blew, and it went on to note that for the past several hundred years it did so every 7-10 years. Mathematically speaking, it's way past due and yesterday's paper noted that Mauna Loa's underground activity indicates the puppy is inflating like a giant balloon.

[Note]Originally posted by PaulW

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maunaloa/history/...table.html

Every 25 years? Not true at all.

Having an almost constant eruption (from Kilauea) and frequent earthquakes could be a good sign,
less chance pressures are building up.
[/quote]