Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates
Da rooster mak da noise...but da girl chicken - no noise...not allowed, but if no noise, no noise!

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Yes we have wells! lots of them, private ones all over, just like rural mainland.I hear it takes 50 years for the water to filter down to the well level and it tastes great!You can have a well just about anywhere its just a cost consideration they have a 5k minimum.Along the coastal areas they don't have to drill as far down so its cheaper.
So why so many catchments? Because they are allowed and they can be extreemly cheap.
The problem with the moratorium in HSRE is a pump blew out in an electrical storm so until they get a replacement there is only enough pump power for the existing homes.This storm also blew out everyones computer that did not have a surge protector on the phone line going into the computer/modem Sad
I think the problem with the jungley lots are the large junk trees with the small lots, houses so close together and power lines every which a way the trees will have to be taken down by a very experienced guy (aka expensive).

Edited by - punamom on 08/31/2006 01:23:10
We had a well at our home in the Santa Cruz Mtns in the SF Bay Area, CA. It continued to produce water past the Loma Prieta quake and it was great, aside from the calcium. We also had a septic system there and very few neighbors. I wonder how much has to be done to assure the water quality from wells on the BI with so many cesspool systems? It may be that rainwater takes a long time to filter down through the volcanic rock and gets purified in the process (this is how it's explained on O'ahu). But we also know how rainwater doesn't pool here because of the porous soils. So, how does this work with cesspool effluent? I haven't heard about sewage intrusions into well water on the BI, but then I don't hear about a lot of stuff. I would guess that the well water providers have to test frequently to assure purity.

Here, I've heard that wells are more affordable, from the drilling depth standpoint, near the coast than further up in elevation. The Ghyben-Herzberg Lens principle shows that the fresh water will be closer to the ground surface near the coast. But it also shows that there is some sea water intrusion to consider near the coast. I guess that one is not very likely to find a perched spring in volcanic structures.

Of course, I'm not a hydrologist, or whatever, so I'm just babbling.

Les

Edited by - Les C on 08/31/2006 14:24:47
I also am not a hydrologist, but I do know that some UH research/academic type people have expressed concern in about wells in rapidly developing subdivisions where cesspools are allowed. HPP was specifically mentioned as an area where things were generally OK now, but getting near the limit in some areas and expected to be problematical at the rate lots are being built out. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge than me can elaborate on the mechanics of ground contamination.

Aloha,
Jerry

"The Ghyben-Herzberg Lens principle"? Wow. I had to Google that. Very interesting.....although the water percolates down, there is a bubble of clarity, so to speak, near the surface, if I have that right.

This is off of my own topic, but I have to say that Puna has something that I am looking for: a community full of helpful people with all manner of expertise. I am very impressed. Although Hawaii has many spectacular and singular communities, this one, is pulling me in rapidly. Thank you all for your response.