Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping in April
I am just bringing this forward because in todays Trib there was a short little blurb about the state looking to FINALLY put the state camping permits & reservations online in the next month....

So keep an eye out for the change in the website..... maybe... in the next month.... maybe....
Camping at Kole Kole about 15 miles north of Hilo is nice. There is a waterfall and river that runs into the ocean. There are bathrooms, picnic benches and fireplaces for cooking too. Also, the camping Cabins at Hapuna Beach are great. It's around $10 a night. They just have an A frame building with benches along the sides, a table with two chairs at one end and that's about it. However, there are communal bathrooms as well as a very large community kitchen. The beach is a white sandy beach that lends itself to swimming really well. Thirdly, there is a campsite just off the highway going up to Volcano.... Road starts with the letter N on the right hand side. Have fun!

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Just bringing this back with new info:

THe state camping will go online "sometime in March", and at that time the rates will go up.

As of Friday, Feb. 12 until the new online system is up, the only way to get a STATE camping or cabin permit is to go in person to the state office (there is one in Hilo) No mail or phone reservations can be made from now on....

The new fees will be higher & there will be resident & non-resident rates ($12 -$90, depending on where).
Thanks for the info Carey! Whoa, $90 for camping??? This must be for a camping cabin? Gee, Royall's backyard campout is looking better all the time :-)

Enjoy the day! Ann

Back to blogging at
http://crazypineappledream.blogspot.com
Enjoy the day! Ann
the $12 is per night per resident camping charge, $90 is per night nonresident cabin charge for the STATE camping & cabins

ETA The county camping has been online & has not changed

I am not sure at this point on the NPS camping & such, as the last I heard, that was tied into the Volcano NPS lodging... & that is not settled, as far as I know (which is not far at all)
I think it's just the cabins at Namakani Paio Campground that are tied to Volcano House up at HVNP, and so are not available at this time (during Volcano House renovations). The other campground areas within the Park are free (after Park entrance fees). Sign in at the Visitor's Center.

Edited for typo.
aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."