Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Costco rumor pau?
Ya, he's right, I read it, ordered some and I must admit fabulous. Once I'm there that would be what we're drinking.

Thanks John.

Since this seems to have morphed into a Sharkey's coffee thread, I'll add that I stopped at their table at the Hilo Market. I guess it was Scott's son who was there. I asked if they grew and made coffee from peaberry (is this what Jamaica Blue Mountain is made with?). He said that his dad didn't buy the hype about peaberry and felt that it was just a genetic mutant that developed one, instead of two half, berries. He didn't think that this mutant necessarily made a better coffee.

I don't claim to have a good "nose" or "tongue" (as in a professional taster type), but I've never thought that Kona coffee was that special. If you recall, it used to be only roasted Americano and blended because it was too weak, or, excuse me, "subtle". It got a little better when roasted dark (to my taste). When I cared more about coffee, I liked Sumatra better. My feeling is that the Kona growers put their money toward a good marketing campaign that made people think it was a cut above. I think the Hamakua, Puna and Ka'u coffees stand a good chance at being as good or better. Whether they are financially successful may depend on a good marketing campaign. Or, strong grassroots popularity from the likes of the PunaWeb.

I've been suspicious of claims of the same or better quality coming from the same plant but grown in another soil. Like growing peaberries in Hawaii makes for as good or better coffee than Jamaica Blue Mountain (perhaps another example of a good marketing campaign and high pricing?). I once saw a grower at a California farmers market offering Maui onions! I asked excitedly if they actually airfreighted them from Maui. No, they said, they grew them in Watsonville, CA. Now, the Watsonville area produces a lot of good produce, but they don't have the volcanic soil of the Kula area. How can they call it "Maui onions"? I guess the Maui onion growers didn't have as strong an industry group as the Kona coffee growers. I have to think that it's just an effort to take advantage of the cache generated by the popular item.

To wind this back on-topic, maybe if Costco came to Kea'au, the east side coffees might get a good boost in sales.

Les

Edited by - Les C on 09/28/2006 19:00:22

Edited by - Les C on 09/28/2006 19:01:36
Just to muddy the water I have been selling Maui Walla Walla, Vidalia onion seed for about 20 years. Walla Walla use to be Stockton Early Yellow, and Maui and Vidalia were both from Texas breeding lines. Soil types, climatic conditions make a big difference but there are varieties now that will produce sweet onions in many areas they just don't advertise as good as the others.
Here is a tip if you want sweet onions get any onion cut it up and put into cold water for 20 min.
I don't think that mutations can change a dicote to a monocote with out looking into it I suspect it's a varietal difference that causes it to hold together.

My two cents.

Keith
Keith
Keith,

Interesting stuff about these onion cultivars, if that's what they are.

Just to clarify what you wrote, ANY onion will taste sweet(er) if you cut, then soak them for 20 min. in cold water?

It's odd that your message showed up today but was dated 9/29/06...

Les
Hi Les,

Keith's post actually did show on the 29th in this thread. Did you see this string in the new postings today or just go to the thread? It might have been in a glitch in your screen refresh for this page or something. This Snitz forum is like that, you have to sometimes just do the screen refresh on each page you look at. It has seened to be having more of those weird kind of glitches lately. Must be the Madame Pele doing it and sending out messages again, who I modeled my first rumor in this thread after. Only I used Pam Anderson since she is a current kind of beach goddess instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele_(mythology)
What is she trying to tell us these days?
Kane-Hekili sure has been doing some talking lately. Maybe they are talking together?
It sure seems like it. Anyone talk to the spiritual leaders there since this earthquake? I'd love to hear from them.

Weirder things than that though have happened from this string.

Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Lucy,

I saw this thread updated with today's date in the Punaweb Forum's thread list and with Keith's posting as the most recent. I expected to see the most recent posting having today's date on it.

Les
The big mystery is that someone edited their previous post today.
Which makes it show as if there has been a new posting.
Just so you don't loose any sleep over the Pele thing Smile

I saw this subject regurgitated back up yesterday. Cut up an onion and soak it in water and what you are doing is leaching out the heat. If you really want to play with, I have been told but never tried this brine the onion in a salt mixture and infuse another flavor.

Keith
Keith
Speaking of posts showing up late....

Did anyone notice after the earthquake/thunder and lightining last week that they got cell msgs that were weeks old??

Les,

I talk to Scott (Sharky's Coffee) on a regular basis and he uses a special organic fertilizer which he feels makes for a better coffee. I can't disagree with him. I have ordered a couple of times from him and the coffee is spectacular IMHO. I prefer the dark roast. I am looking forward to the day that I can get a tour of his place.

Dave

The Kona Forum
http://www.konaforum.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former". --Albert Einstein

Edited by - konadave on 10/25/2006 09:17:36