Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to find Mexican groceries on the Big Island?
quote:
Originally posted by freestate
...I found Tacos El Unico to be just passable.
I certainly don't proclaim myself as an expert in Mexican cusine, but Tacos El Unico didn't even have an English menu until recently and you hardly ever see a non-Spanish customer there, so it is supported by the local Mexican population. (You sure don't see them at Pancho & Lefty's!)[Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

My freestate.... I’m not concerned with the color of your skin or anyone else, but I do get concerned with the thickness of it. You take a simple statement like:

freestate,

why diden't you just move to Mexico?

as derogatory and mean spirted when neither was intended. It was nothing more than a simple question. If you want the best Italian food it is made in Italy. If you want the best food made in the USA, you move into Devany’s house.

You on the other hand go off on a rant about Arizona and how bad Latino’s are now being treated because you have brown skin. Bolder-dash freestate Latino people are being treated better in Arizona than they are in Native Mexico. It’s not a matter of race and you know it, it’s a matter of legality and economics. Arizona is not inventing new laws it is only enforcing the ones that are already there.

What dose this have to do with Puna anyway?

The Lack

The Lack Toons
Thank's Sam,

Time for some more suds but I'mm off to kona for the week-end.

The Lack

The Lack Toons
Freestate: Another pointer, ask for "Emmas Salsa" - more of a chile than salsa. Better than her regular salsa she sells at the stores and such. IMO

Also, I buy her masa (wet kind) and add salt and chile and "what-not" to jazz it up...

Shoot me an email and we can talk-story and get together and what-not.
Aloha!

samdooby@yahoo.com
Lack,

I don't think you are an evil racist. I don't see the world that black and white (no pun intended).

I'll take it that I misinterpreted your comment. But if you are unwilling to see how such a comment could be misinterpreted amidst the political climate that is occurring right now, I don't know what to say.

However the funny thing is I'm not some La Raza type, I don't even self-identify myself as Latino until it gets pointed out to me (which it does much more lately). Also for the record I didn't make any claims to how much better treated Latino's are in Mexico, you assigned that position to me and I think you are making some assumptions about me based on my reaction to your comment.

We probably would get along just fine if we were neighbors, I'm guessing. I don't know how often you have conflict with others, its pretty rare for me.

Sorry Punaweb for the diversion, but I want people that I potentially might meet on this island to have some understanding of the reasons for my reaction.

Thanks again Punaweb for the pointers.

Sam,

Thanks for the further pointers. I'm trying to start out by making Chile Colorado and then will progress from there. So I'm on a quest for dried New Mexico Chilies.

Always love to share beer. Problem is I'm up near Waimea and have a three month old occupying a good amount of my time.

Tako Taco is good place to share a beer if you are passing through Waimea.

To all others, I'm not trying to tell anyone they are mistaken about Tacos El Unico if you like it, thought it was OK. I realize that my palate is tilted towards my mother's kitchen when it comes to Mexican food. i.e. tacos should have peas and potatoes mixed in with the seasoned ground beef and folded soft, held together with toothpicks and then deep fried. That may sound weird but its how it was done in my family going back to the Mexican ranch days two generations ago. But you don't see it too much in restaurants.
Freestate,
My daughter is currently living in Leon in Guanajuato state and is supposed to be coming back sometime this summer or fall. Is there anything in the way of supplies specific to that region you might need? Her hanai sister, mother and abuelita in Mexico are teaching her old school Mexican cooking while she is there, and they would know how to track down ingredients. They say Amber's outside is all Gringa, but her heart and stomach are Mexican.

Let me know what you need as long as it is light and legal.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Wow, my parents grew up in San Francisco del Rincon in Guanajuato. Could be cousins.

Thanks for the generous offer and I'll think it over before saying its not necessary. I'm really just looking for stuff that can usually be found pretty easily in mainland grocery stores near Latino populations; and I am pretty sure here as well just not in Waimea.

Maybe you can talk her into opening a restaurant! Wink

Freestate, I am in S. Texas and can send you some dried chilis. Not sure where they are grown from, but plentiful in HEB grocery stores here. Let me know if you need other supplies, i am sure it is all here.

Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!