Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Lava tour out of Kalapana...
@ dakine
RE: your comment: "the ocean entry is always unsafe, but leigh likes to scare ppl so he gets the shots and can sell them rather than your regular joe getting his own.."

You have treated me like **** from the 1st day I signed on to this nice site. I concluded long ago that you think of yourself very highly and as some expert on lava flows, and on just about everything else you espouse. Someone else with extensive firsthand knowledge of our local lava flow comes along and you get all-protective of your little following and lash out… In my humble opinion you stand out as an insecure and self-righteous asshole.

I warn these new tour groups of the very real dangers of losing a tourists life on the extensive new lava bench and you twist it to your selfish ends-- you need counseling. How many lava benches have you watched collapse? How many horrid deaths from such collapses can you list? So would you rather I encourage tour guides and tourists to climb out on the very edge of the fuming active deltas? Do you know there was a near death two weeks ago out there of a tour group who were standing on the outer bench edge and had only walked away thirty feet when the entire edge they were previously standing on suddenly dropped explosively into the sea? -- Oh wait—you did say, “the ocean entry is always unsafe”… So there really is no point in anyone, or me, warning about that aspect because dakine already knows it’s unsafe … So when the USGS post their daily warning about lava bench dangers they do so to protect their unique pictures of lava benches? Or is it just my special pictures I am wanting to keep others from getting?

You state in your comment I don’t want the “regular joe” getting lava photos? As a professional photographer, with an expertise with lava, do you really think I would be at all affected by tourists off the bus and snapping shots affecting my business? I would like everyone to see & feel molten lava up close and get the best photos they possibly can, but not where the odds are higher of losing a life.
Hey dakine, while watching this http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/v...-small.mov USGS movie clip of a local bench collapse and imagine you and your friends, family and the tourists visiting you, who have trusted your good judgment to lead them out on it, standing or walking on any portion of this unstable land. Our current lava bench looks very similar to the one in the clip and the outer edges have been dropping almost daily.

Leigh Hilbert
Hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com
The lava delta/bench collapse in my post does not load easily sometimes by direct link; you can open it from the USGS/HVO page here: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/volcanomovies/ and scroll down that page to Ocean Entry Movies and select East Lae`apuki Lava Delta Collapse

…. And for an in-depth description about how lava deltas are formed and their inherent dangers, the USGS has an extensive page on that here: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/hazards/oceanentr...acollapse/

Having witnessed new lava deltas collapse a few times over the years - it is a sobering experience. Lives have been lost to these events along our coast. I would hate to see any more injuries or deaths take place due simply from lack of knowledge or ignorance of the dangers.
Leigh, who was leading the tour group that had a close call?

I have learned recently that two experienced guides, Philip Ong of VolcanoDiscovery and his partner Arthur (formerly BigIslandeXcapes), are helping to train the less experienced guides with Kalapana Lava Tours.

They are also giving private tours, although perhaps beyond the price range of the average Punaweb poster (and myself).
http://hawaii.volcanodiscovery.com/

Philip has an M.S. in Geology and a great acquaintance with Kilauea, so I would think his collaboration will improve the safety of the tours.
No way I would go stand on the edge of a shelf of new lava land.
http://www.hawaii247.com/2010/10/15/volc...tay-alive/

new warnings about tours from USGS Volcano Watch issue for October.
I know some of you don't like to click and read, but this is one to check out.
Right on they have Phillip and Arthur involve with these guys. That's great. I have heard that one of the family members or guides have a degree in geology or some what in that nature. I have heard that they are taking extreme measures on their tour now. I heard they are participating in some of the HVN Parks awareness classes. Right on to these local boys.
And also Puna Leigh I was out there with these guys on that tour when it happen. Our guide had us far back from the danger are area. We were on the old flow taking pictures while our guide stopped us and said some safety awareness then a big part of cliff fell in. They're were another tour that was out there while it happen and I think it was Ed Fraiser's tour. My guide told us that Ed was operating illegal tours that was trespassing through private properties. But oh well that's Ed for you. I had asked our guide are we going there. He said hell no not that close. So I knew he had us safe.We stayed on the top of the old cliff and had take pictures from there. What a cool tour man.
Excuse me I had type faster then I could think.I was out there when the other tour had a close call because of stupidness. We were about 1/2 mile away when it happened.