Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large scale Puna windfarm?
kalamaboy -I see your point as why would other islands have to provide their resources for Oahu?
My point is/was that every barrel of oil that doesn't get sent here is one less barrel of oil that might get spilled on the coastline. With that in mind, I would rather see geothermal or wind/solar.
quote:
Originally posted by kalama boy

mdd7000, I wish I had never used the analogy of a wind farm in Puna.

What about geothermal from Puna for Oahu, and while were at it a new landfill for Oahus trash located in,..........Puna? See my point?

kalama boy.....You are making several excellent points. Would you reconsider providing power for Oahu if Puna could become the Saudi Arabia of geothermal energy and all of its residents benefited tremendously with very little negative impact on the area?

Of course in reality the power company would be the huge winner with little thought of the locals.

Hugh
In the meantime what gives with all the abandoned gen 1 wind turbines in the state - we have some, Maui has some ---- they are not working or dismantled - talking about eyesores and responsibility after the "green" power generation schemes fail - gives the whole industry and gov't oversight a black eye imho
The ones up by the Upolu Airport are being replaced (or already are) by a different company. Good place for them since at this point, the infrastructure is already in place. I recall reading that corrosion issues caused the failures of the original turbines there, but they did last a number of years.

But you are right - why are companies allowed to just abandon the equipment? Maybe some sort of advance fee or bond placed in an escrow account should be required in the event of company failure/closure, etc.?
If those are the old ones at S. Point, they were loud when they were working.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
now............

how does liability apply to geo ... imagine a few bore holes, maybe one thats running away - and the energy company doing the drilling folds or decides bankruptcy a better option than responsibility

who is left holding the bag?