Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Clubs on Big Island?
Wondering if anyone here is involved with or knows anyone involved with old car restoration.

It was my hobby back on the mainland and occasionally I see a car show pop up but haven't seen too much activity.

Main interest is 60's imports, I'm a Volvo guy but am interested in Euro and Japanese from the era.

Thanks for any tips.

I have some extensive Datsun 240Z experience...but I have seen all of one 240z on the island in several years and it wasn't pretty. Saw it near Cost-U-Less a few months ago.
After experimenting with British and Japanese cars I graduated to late '60's US muscle cars. I got tired of electrical issues with the British ones. It isn't fun when the headlights go out in the dark.
Every hobby has its subsets. I lean to roundfender Volvo, not the the bricks.

122's are what I'm into, but also like the 1800 and 544/444. Really great old cars, so overengineered; gotta love the Swedes.

I've seen one 544 out here and saw one of those funky 1800ES sport wagons on Google Streetview but never on the road.

There is a 240Z either derelict or waiting for restoration couple miles outside Waimea. Had a buddy into Z's back in Portland, great cars. We were able to find common ground with the SU carbs. I love those SU's, so simple once you figure them out.
I'd like to see muscle cars collectors get together. I would participate in a show n shine. Bring out those classic muscle cars. Time to strut and shine
SU carbs. [xx(]
I converted all 3 240z's, 2 MGB's and a TR7 I owned to downdraft Webers.
Quicker starting, more power.
muscle cars / hemis...count me in

Wyline
Wyline
Plan to ship both my old Muscle cars to the Bi so would like to see a show and shine.
1974 T/A 455 SD, 78000 miles all original bought it new,and a 68 Nova with a DZ302 engine
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool
Musclecar muscleheads...[Big Grin]

Musclecars are great, unless you want to turn or stop or drive more than twenty miles from a gas station. Other than that...

Joking aside I do love 60's early 70's musclecars and will be looking out for that '74 T/A, an all time favorite.

Speaking of favorites, best car movie? "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" is close but "Vanishing Point" has to take top honors.

If you musclecar guys ever organize a show, be sure and put it on Punaweb.
The muscle car groups have frequent poker runs. Those are fun. The model T folks shipped all their cars over here a year or so ago and rolled all around the island. That was fun. If you have a nice restored car they will let you play, you don't have to have a car exactly specific to their group. We've got a '52 MGTD wannabe - no SU carbs or Lucas the Prince of Darkness involved with a kit car. The MGTD can play with the muscle car group as well as the model T group. We were thinking of starting a Red Car Car Club, didn't matter what it was as long as it was some variety of red, but I think they are more interested in "old iron" now and may want to start some sort of hit-or-miss engine club instead.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
http://www.vwclubofhawaii.com/

VW club of Hawaii out of Hilo is pretty cool

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"