Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun question
NOTICE, this is a response that does not represent Hawaii laws and should not be taken as legal advice for any jurisdiction. It represents my personal experiences only. If you have questions about law, consult a lawyer.

Never bothered me. Even without the "shall issue", you can carry a concealed loaded gun in your car if it meets the "three step rule". For example, if you have a handgun in a snapped holster hidden under your car seat, you are legal. You can carry a loaded gun anywhere in your car if it isn't concealed and isn't touching you. Plain view on your back seat or dash board or gun rack is legal. You don't see many on truck gun racks anymore as there are now too many thieves. As a cop I just assumed that there was a gun in every car. I've stopped preachers with guns on their seats. They wisely would keep their hands firmly attached to the steering wheel. The attitude of younger cops, especially urban cops, has changed as they have grown up being subjected to years of anti-gun media propaganda. I know one cop that every time he stopped a car with a gun he would get on his radio and yell "signal 0, signal 0" (indicating a gun). I would rush to his aid as back-up only to discover that it was a normal law abiding citizen. I had to inform him that he was causing a disruption, delaying other police responses and to top it off it made him sound like a big puzzy. You should always assume there is a gun and act accordingly. I have also responded as back up and caught the rear seat occupant of a druggie car dragging a gun out from behind the rear seat, while he was paying attention to the other officer. He didn't know I was there until I jerked the door open and screwed the barrel of my magnum in his ear. I don't think any laws would have affected his actions. As I recall he was already a convicted felon. I get long winded and ramble.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Oink:

To be clear, that all applies to Florida, right? You can not transport a loaded gun in Hawaii. Big trouble if you do.
Yes, I was responding about my Fl experiences. Hawaii gun laws do not resemble Fl laws in the least. Besides, I don't provide legal advice anywhere. Read the laws yourself, consult a lawyer or both.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Dayna, I'll try to boil down the laws as best I can. (I went through it moving from fairbanks to kurtistown and back)

Flying with a firearm: You need a lockable hard sided case, with locks on every available position. Regular padlocks will do. When you check your baggage, just tell them you need to check a firearm in your bag. They will have you sign a slip and put it in with the firearm. Take your bag to tsa, they will inspect the bag and case, then transport your bag to the plane.

When you land, they will bring your bag out to you personally.

Within 72 hours, go to the firearms registration department (same building as the dmv in hilo) and file for a firearm import. I think it is $19.75 cash only. The hours of operation are limited too. Check the police website.

Beyond that, no carry/transport/etc unless you are going to a gun store/sporting event/range/etc. Even if you stop off at walmart, they could get you with a technicality. Gun in its case, unloaded at all times with ammo in a separate container.

Beyond that, the usual common sense applies. Also, unlike alaska, no shooting burglars, etc. That was one of the things that got me to move back. If someone has a machete in your house, you best try to go out a window. There is no right to self defense in your home. (where as up here, I'm just going to need new carpet)

Enjoy the weather down there though. The puna district is beautiful and I loved the nightly rainstorms. Shame its -45f at the house in fairbanks right now. I'm dealing with my pipes freezing lol

Dan
quote:
Originally posted by oink

Yes, I was responding about my Fl experiences. Hawaii gun laws do not resemble Fl laws in the least. Besides, I don't provide legal advice anywhere. Read the laws yourself, consult a lawyer or both.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Oink ya made me laugh! I nevered worried about the guns you could see it was the ones you couldn't that made me weary. Florida is about the opposite of Hawaii A unloaded handgun is a rock!
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool