Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha! from Tejas
SkotPhrea,
Having been through this process there are some things you and your wife should be prepared for:
A) very few new hires know where they will be placed until the 3rd or 4th week of school, SPED even later, because of how positions are allocated based on enrollment numbers.

B) It can take 2 months to get your first paycheck, plan for it.

C) Your wife could be offered a position out of her grade level or content area, take it if you are.

The other word of caution I have is that virtually every UHH graduate from their education program was placed in the school they did their student teaching this year, that takes up most spaces with teachers the principal knew already. As well, all but 2 of the 57+/- teachers from Lapahoehoe were offered positions, so that will take up many other openings. The recruitment people from Oahu have NO idea what is happening on the outer islands, so they go to these job fairs and make unrealistic promises.

My final word of caution is to confirm the date and time of any on island interviews with the principal, I was given a later date and time than the principal 3 times, which got me pretty well blacklisted by those schools.

Rent a by the month vacation rental in Keaau for the first 3 months, or until you know where your wife will be working, most places will give you a discount.

Good luck, in spite of all the challenges I love teaching in Hawaii, although I have always been in the charter schools.

Temporarily in beautiful central Mexico,

Carol

edited to finish the post that accidentally posted before I was done
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
SkotPhrea, you may want to check out Pasha Hawaii. They also ship vehicles and you can drop it off at a location in Dallas. They will take it the rest of the way. It's about 400.00 more than a west coast drop off but better for us than driving the truck to the west coast. We are shipping one of our trucks over later this year before our next visit. The price of the last two week 4WD rental made us decide to go ahead and do it. I am a Puna land owner trying to extract myself from suburban Houston. Good luck on your move. Wish it was me.
Thank you one and all for your guidance and advice. We are very appreciative and take it to heart. A special thanks to Carol for the heads up on the 2 month wait for a paycheck and the vacation rental idea. Enjoy your time in Mexico! We love Guanajato and San Miguel de Allende! Happy Day!
Thank you one and all for your guidance and advice. We are very appreciative and take it to heart. A special thanks to Carol for the heads up on the 2 month wait for a paycheck and the vacation rental idea. Enjoy your time in Mexico! We love Guanajato and San Miguel de Allende! Happy Day!