Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your best deals online
The $79 will pay for itself in one order depending on the item, getting a 65 pound receiver overnighted for $12 is an epic deal. If you double check everything on Amazon like I do, you will find many items cheaper and frequently of better quality then what you find locally. This is especially true for electronics, but also true of tooth brush heads, gardening supplies, kitchen utensils, vinyl records, snorkeling gear, black plastic vinyl, underwear, thermometers, bicycle parts and tools, extension cords, shoes, etc...you get the idea . You get better customer support as a prime customer, the more you spend, the more they bend over backwards to make things right. I used to spend thousands a year on Amazon when I lived in Texas, these days I only spend hundreds a year but the Prime is still worth it. Movies and TV is a nice bonus. Knowing how to find the right reviews on Amazon can make choosing a solution to a problem very easy.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
I originally resisted amazon prime because all my orders were already over the threshold to get free shipping anyway. But amazon prime is different. Faster. Better. I ALWAYS try to shop local, even agreeing to pay a little more for it. But if something is $x cheaper (x means YOU set the threshold based on what you can do) you have to order out. Half the time I go to a store here for something they are out of stock but they can get it "in 3-6 weeks" but I can get it for CHEAPER from amazon or eBay in 3-6 DAYS.
What amazes me is the fact that shipping from the mainland is less than how much gas money I spend driving into Hilo.
I started thinking about this as I was watching a mother buying a printer for her daughter for school. The printer was about $70 and the printer cable was about $30. Really? I tried to warn her that she was getting ripped off but school had started and she couldn't wait for shipping.
$5 for a 10 ft usb printer cable on Amazon, free shipping with prime...

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
Hmmm, I have a different take on some things. Like I bought a 47" sieke TV at sears for 350 bucks after their 10% off sale. To me buying Large items that are fragile and your not sure if your going to like it having the 30 day return policy where if you buy online... Not sure about you but I once bought a TV 32" LCD when I was living in Orchidland from costco. I watched the fedex guy dump it on the ground as he drove down my driveway. He probably would have tossed it by the door if I wasn't home. But the hassle of returning cloths that don't fit, or broken items that are expensive / bulky and can be easily damaged I think I'll just wait for a sale and buy locally. But Books, estension cords, small items ... etc...etc... are fine to buy on ebay/amazon or where ever else you can find it cheaper. Also your saving 4% tax right out of the gate.

As far as printers, sometimes office max has really good printer deals and agreed NEVER EVER buy a printer cable I was just there today and looking at routers I saw they were selling ONE SINGLE cat 5 cable for 25 bucks!!! haha I had to laugh. I think if someone bought a crap load of network patch cables, HDMI, and USB printer/etc...etc.. cables in bulk for a buck each from the mainland you'd make a killing over here. I think the cheapest cables you can buy are from walmart and they are still around 8-10 bucks granted a far cry from 30 but still... I remember seeing usb printer cables sold in a grocery store for 1.50! Try going to foodland or KTA and buying a hdmi cable!

Smile

HDMI cable $50-$70 in Hilo, $7 with free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Also, Kindle ebooks can be borrowed free for unlimited time with Prime and, you don't even have to buy a Kindle, just download free Kindle for PC program and read on your computer - free + free = free.

Plus the video. It's certainly been worth the $79/year to me.

Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be, enjoy this day!
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.