Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parcel Post & The Holidays
I regularly get things ordered from Amazon with the free (super saver) shipping within 5 days though, so is it really worth it for Prime? (aside from the other extras) I guess it does apply for everything, but I rarely buy things that don't qualify for free shipping.
I've grown particularly fond of Standard Shipping, with the tracking number. Gets to Honolulu in 1 or 2 days, then another week to get to Hilo - Grrrrrr Sad

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Amazon prime is great. I usually get my items in about 3 days regardless if they ship it UPS, Priority, or first class.

One thing you have to look out for is if the item is not "fulfilled by amazon" the merchant selling it might ship it parcel post. Then it can take 6 weeks to get it.
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

I regularly get things ordered from Amazon with the free (super saver) shipping within 5 days though, so is it really worth it for Prime? (aside from the other extras) I guess it does apply for everything, but I rarely buy things that don't qualify for free shipping.

Like you, I held out. Even using the web site http://www.superfillers.com/ (say you have $24.13 in your cart and need a list of .87 items @ amazon to take you to the free shipping threshhold, the web site will give you a list of items to meet that amount) You get them much faster with prime and there are more items that qualify for free shipping. It was worth it. I converted.
Amazon Prime is great! We buy all kinds of things now with Amazon and always free shipping. We paid for the sign up fee with the shipping I saved on our first purchase.
I use Amazon Prime for most purchases. You can also share your Prime membership with four other "household members" so that spreads the benefits of Prime even further. If you're a Prime member and you want your purchase to be delivered to someone on the mainland as a gift, it will get there within 2 days for free.

Zappos.com offers free shipping and returns on everything you buy from them, although it won't get here the next day like it would on the mainland. It usually gets here within a couple of days.

Also check for free shipping codes or coupons on sites like Ebates.com and Retailmenot.com before buying from a non-Amazon site. Just about every clothing site offers free shipping once in awhile and most of them deliver very quickly.

The only company I've had problems with is Joann's (craft and sewing supplies). Even if you pay for shipping, you'll wait so long for delivery that you'll forget what you ordered.

Happy shopping!
I wanted to point out that... I don't know why, but during the holidays even stuff that is sent slow boat seems to speed up during xmas...

Another great free shipping (don't have to wait for the holidays) I bout 5 items from crutchfield and all have been sent fedex blue (3 day) ... Fast... And EVERYTHING ships free even to hawaii!

Crutchfield is a major electronics store with some decent pricing and better shipping than amazon, so if you looking for speakers, subwoofers, or just a receiver it's way better than going to best buy or any thing on Oahu. They even sell car audio decks and speakers. Probably the best in the business for DIY. If you can wait around sign up for the deals. They usually have close out/clearance and good sales.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

<snip>

Another great free shipping (don't have to wait for the holidays) I bout 5 items from crutchfield and all have been sent fedex blue (3 day) ... Fast... And EVERYTHING ships free even to hawaii!

Crutchfield is a major electronics store with some decent pricing and better shipping than amazon, so if you looking for speakers, subwoofers, or just a receiver it's way better than going to best buy or any thing on Oahu. They even sell car audio decks and speakers. Probably the best in the business for DIY. If you can wait around sign up for the deals. They usually have close out/clearance and good sales.

Another vote for Crutchfield: In addition to free shipping, they have awesome customer service. Call before you buy and their reps will help you get the best product for your needs and budget, and will then personally stay in touch with you till you receive your items and are satisfied. If you have problems, they fix it no questions asked. I called them when my first Sirius radio died unexpectedly after a couple of months use (back on the mainland...); Rep said "We've pulled that model because we got so many complaints" and then sent me a better (and more expensive brand) replacement at no charge.

Years later (post Hawaii move) I bought a home theater system that had one static-y speaker. Rep assured me that I'd bought a quality product (just one with a defect), so he immediately FedEx'ed an entire new system and told me to mix and match components until everything worked perfectly, and then return the leftovers back to him -- all at their expense. Considering all the back-and-forth Fed Ex to Hawaii shipping costs, I'm sure they lost money on my purchase, but that didn't stop the rep from sending me an email apology letter once they got back the defective system!