Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome?
I don't think backing in or backing out is the problem. It's that some people can't handle either of them well or quickly, and THEY're the ones that attract our attention.
quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1

[quote]Originally posted by Kiana

Aloha! We are here full time going on two years, after 10 years of part time. Just wondering, what is the deal with people who like to back into parking stalls? Just can't figure the allure or benefit of it...in busy crowded parking lots? How can backing into a narrow car space be easier than backing out into a parking lot aisle upon departure? It snarls up the already crowded scene. Not a gender issue, as we've seen as many women as men do this, but it does seem to be an important local thing for many. Just curious to know the local lore on this one. Mahalo!

I haven't read any of the other answers to your question, because I am one that, if possible, will always back into a parking stall. The only exception is if I know that I will have a load to put in through the tailgate.
First of all, wherever I park for the night, I would rather pull out forwards rather than backing out while I'm still in my morning groggy state.
Then, in the shopping centers and other similar venues, I do not have to worry about the idiots that are racing around the lot trying to get nowhere now, who will speed by laying on their horn leaving inches to spare between the parked cars on the other side and you as your are backing out. No matter when, either pulling in or pulling out you are going to hold someone up. That is the nature of being in a massive crowded parking lot. My complaint is about the idiot that rides your bumper and blocks you from an easy backup into an open slot. I can handle and control my vehicle. I can get it into any place it will fit, forwards or backwards.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
It used to take me 30 minutes to back up my horse trailer into a parking spot. It takes me 10 minutes and too many attempts to back up my car into a slot with cars on both sides!

Some just don't have the knack...dang it! So watch out for me when I back out [:0]
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by nana valley

It used to take me 30 minutes to back up my horse trailer into a parking spot. It takes me 10 minutes and too many attempts to back up my car into a slot with cars on both sides!

Some just don't have the knack...dang it! So watch out for me when I back out [:0]

Made me chuckle when it dawned on me that direction (in or out) doesn't really improve one's ability LOL

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
My strategy is to look for a parking spot that will allow me to pull thru to the next side of parking such that I am only going one direction (forward). Yes I am always afraid a child or pedestrian will be out of my site or too small to see when backing out.
my observation is that a person also has to make at least three tries while backing into a space, even better if they have gotten out of the car to see how close they are to the car behind. then there are the ones who leave 5 or 6 feet of space, which then lets their car stick out in to lane of traffic.
I usually do it in one try and I don't leave more sticking out than front in. I just back up until I feel a bump and then pull back up a foot. I leave my hitch in the receiver so I never damage my truck.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Ha ha, you nailed it TheordoreJay, that's always the first option I look for.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
I work construction for 30 years and we where always taught to back in it was safer to see that way when you pull out you could see what is in front you.

jrw
jrw