Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon
Can someone educate me on what's wrong with the farmed salmon??
I do not find right or wrong, as I have enjoyed many of the salmonoid varaities...

Each has its own taste/texture, and most preferences are based more do to the fact these are different fish... farmed is almost all Atlantic species variants, wild caught Pacific NW is... Pacific species variants... (& fresh off the hook...mmmmm)

Farm raises fish have higher levels of toxins of pbc's because of living in dense pens
It makes me think of a overcrowded overfed fishtank.
If I farmed it myself I'd eat it. But since I don't know how clean the area is that the fish are raised in, nor what they're fed (since they can't forage their natural foods) I'm really not interested. If I raised, say, tilapia myself I'd know everything they were fed (well other than bugs they catch on their own) and I'd happily eat them.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
quote:
Originally posted by dayna

quote:
Originally posted by Birney

Sorry, one more thing. Do you know that the FDA just approved "Frankenfish", the first genetically modified animal to hit the markets as a food product? Maybe we should "get used to" that too...

No way would I buy frankenfish. I have many commercial fisherman friends and no way would I work against them by buying farmed GMO fish. lol

I understand about the freshly frozen. I guess what I'm trying to find is not that hard frozen, old, freezer burnt fish that I keep finding in the stores here. Ya know?

I'm the MOST supportive of SE alaska fisherman and fisherwomen. Smile there are quite a few of us SE Alaskans here.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

Wendy Alderson
Wendy Alderson
I can vouch for FAS, my husband and son travel yearly (July) for a Salmon and Halibut fishing trip out of Sitka. They bring home an average of 200 pounds which has been FAS, and it takes us about a year to go through it but tastes as fresh on day 364 as on day 1 right off the boat. I do believe FAS is superior to "FRESH" which has sat around who knows how long before it actually makes it to your plate. That being said, I sure look forward to our trips to Hilo area where we purchase Ahi, Aku, Opihi, and other fresh caught selections from local fishermen, right off the back of the boat and it IS "ono." Mmmmm, just made myself hungry![:I]