Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shots fired in Hilo monday night
I want less car accidents. Best way to achieve that is less cars. True in my opinion.

I want less alcohol related violence. Best way to achieve that is less alcohol. True in my opinion.

I was just told by a Hilo officer that the Big Island has the highest murder rate of all the islands. How many gun stores do we have here? 3? There are lots of restrictions, guns and ammo cost big bucks, firearms are not readily available here like in the mainland. Only a couple stores carry a very limited selection. The few I have been at took me 2 minutes to see everything and leave. Yet we have all these gun related crimes happening?

How many guns does anyone see listed for sale by private party? I have only seen a few in all the years I have been here on craigslist or in paper. There are very few guns here on this island and most are used for hunting in my opinion. I have never even seen a gun show on this island.

Less shootings from having less guns? False, but this of course is just my opinion on your opinion. No facts either way.........

quote:
Originally posted by islandlvng

Less shootings from having less guns? False, but this of course is just my opinion on your opinion. No facts either way.........

/agree
Didn't someone post some stats showing Hawaii as having the least gun violence in the nation, with Louisiana having the most? There was a direct correlation with gun ownership shown.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Yes, but I am also too lazy to sift through the millions of recent gun related threads : )
This year has been unusual. For prior years where stats are available, Kauai has actually had the highest rate for a long time. Regardless, it's much lower here than almost anywhere else in the country; and the rate of murders and aggravated assaults with guns is even lower (most are done with other weapons, which tend to be less fatal).

The biggest difference between Hawaii and other states is distance. Our strict gun laws actually work here because you can't just hop over the state line to a less restrictive state (like Indiana next to Illinois, or New Hampshire next to Massachusetts), buy up 200 guns in a day, and sell them to your buddies. Even doing it illegally, it takes significant effort that most people (including most criminals) aren't willing to do.
Someone shot a rooster keeping me awake...

I was appreciative.
Puna: Our roosters crow first