Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kahena robbery
quote:
some of you obviously are missing the point... so just wouldnt fit in Wink....
I used to live on Makena Beach, I'm not missing the point! Still a very disturbing visual, and no I wouldn't live there now. Well, maybe if I could put up a fence and keep all the hippies out.

Unfortunately, some of you won't take that as the humor it was intended. Oh well!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
rainyjim, that's how the gym owner made it out. He was totally exhausted and convinced he would die there that day. Suddenly there was a small break in the waves. Those waves made it impossible to get out without being bashed to death on the rocks. He saw a small letup in the waves and got out. He said he then collapsed on the beach and just laid there for a long time ready to kiss the beach.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Something that people forget a lot (kehena and elsewhere)

Our water is really salty! You are much more buoyant in salt water and I can float just fine without even having to tread water at kehena...point being save your energy for what you actually need it for. (Like getting in and out)

Added: i think a part of floating without treading water is how you hold your air inside your diaphram ... Obviously the importang part is keeping your head up and out of the water. I'm not sure how to explain the diaphram thing any better but if you lay on the water in the calm (ahalanui/swimming pool etc) it is easy to figure out what i'm talking about - maybe someone will be able to explain what i've observed more eloquently. (Carey? Lol)
Last time I was there the waves were not for an easy swim. But I went in anyway...

The problem with floating is fine and dandy till you notice that the current is sweeping you down the bay... So you still gotta swim against the current and yes... you gotta time the waves... Get in and out as fast as possible. I don't think I'd go in again when it is rough water. Only a few people went in and they were obviously more knowledgeable than I. I've only been to that beach a handful of times and they all had flippers. Might be wise to have a pair if you plan to swim there since the current can be strong and well, flippers will just help you get out even faster. But not the diving kind just the short duck fin type that body surfers normally wear.
When we lived in Seaview we swam there, just not on the weekends, but there were a lot of times when we climbed half way down the cliff and just turned around because the waves were too rough. One other time it was calm when we went in, but really kicked up while we were swimming. We kept waiting for a break in the sets, and they just got bigger, and it was getting darker as the sun headed behind Mauna Loa. Some of those naked dread head hippies on the beach waited until we caught a break and made it back ashore, but I got knocked to my knees by a wave and dragged back a good 8 feet across that sharp black sand. My knees were pretty shredded, but we learned our lesson and never went into the water there that late in the day. I really appreciated the guys who stuck around until they knew we were OK, they just got dressed and headed up the cliffs as soon as we hit land, didn't even give us time to say mahalo. I also never felt self conscious about wearing a suit there.

Back to the OP, we lived in Seaview when we first moved here, and I really like the neighborhood, the people who lived there were mostly really great, eccentric in some cases, but good neighbors. There were some outbreaks of petty, and not so petty, crime down at Kehena even then. Gary Safarik was running for reelection and brought in a one day photo op clean up crew who knocked the shrubbery back a bit and talked about getting a call box put in, and then things returned to normal. I think the presence of a lot of naive starry eyed youngsters, who think it is all peace love and turtles, also brings some real predators down there, add the lack of good cell coverage or police presence and you have a recipe for predatory behavior.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I hope your son is alright, a mugging can be is a traumatic experience to go through.