Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Dylan coming to Hawaii
Prices sure have changed over the years (yes I know the buying power of money has changed across the board, but concerts are relatively steeper now. More elaborate productions?)

Back in 1967, $70 bought me tix to all five concerts of the Monterey Pop Festival AND three nights lodging, AND round trip transportation by bus from LA County to Monterey. The concerts were IIRC $5 for afternoon and $8 for evening. So for a single $8 -- Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Mamas and Papas, Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield, Janis Joplin, and others. That was for only one of the five concerts.

Single best concert deal ever. [8D]
I think it cost me either 6 or 8 bucks to see the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl in the best seats too. Times have changed!

It cost me about $22 to see Dylan in the 90Ôs. $100 is a lot but the big impediment is going off island and getting a hotel room.

If it were Jackson Browne, I would be very tempted. IÔve seen him play maybe 10 times if I include multi-band events, but I would be there again in a NY minute. He really engages with his audience, and Dylan typically does not.

I too have been blessed with getting to see most of the artists I loved play. I saw all the great bands and solo artists of the 60Ôs at least once, I think, with the exception of the Doors. Living in LA and Marin County was the place to be for concerts in the mid to late 60Ôs, and clubs, like seeing Mayall at the Whiskey a go-go ... (I was under 18 but that was OK, they just didnÔt serve me).

I guess I should be content with what IÔve had and just play my Dylan albums. [Smile]
"Oh, hear this Robert Zimmerman, I wrote a song for you

About a strange young man called Dylan with a voice like sand and glue

His words of truthful vengeance, they could pin us to the floor

Brought a few more people on and put the fear in a whole lot more"

—David Bowie, "Song for Bob Dylan"
We saw Dylan about 10 years ago at the Student Union ballroom on the university of Oregon campus in Eugene. He was slipping shows at small intimate venues in between arenas on that tour. Of the handful of times we saw Dylan that was my favorite. He was totally engaged with the audience, took requests, and the venue only held about 350 people. You could walk right up to the stage and Dylan was 3 feet away from you.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

Never seen Dylan. I have noticed some artists/bands/whatever you want to call them, that have played in Kona since we moved here (two and a half years ago, have been charging outrageous prices for tickets. I have been to see both Taj Mahal and John Mayall at the Honokaa Peoples Theater. Both were great shows, and VERY reasonable. I've seen most of the shows I want to see. Jimi Hendrix (about 1967), Black Sabbath (also way back), Mountain, the Allman Brothers Band (during the Live at the Phillmore East album), Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown, Climax Blues Band, Johnny Winter, Robin Trower (twice), Marshall Tucker Band, and many others. I'll never forget these fine shows. Would I pay, say, $300-$500 to see a band. All right.. If Jimi Hendrix came back from the dead for a show, I would. Otherwise, not a chance. $100 to see Bob Dylan currently. No.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Agreed it is a horrible amount of money. I am happy you folks got to see so many of the greats.. smiles... so good...