Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you doing on the 4th?
quote:
Tom- don't forget the little sandwiches with the crust cut off, and cake with your tea! It is a holiday you know!
Tink - thanks for the reminder - I had to go out and buy the cucumber for the dainty sandwiches today, but they went very well with a nice cup of Earl Grey! Unfortunately it's hard to find real scones and Devonshire clotted cream here, but we all have to make sacrifices from time to time. Hope everyone's 4th July went well.
I was living in England when I was the age where you start to drink caffeinated beverages, as a result I never acquired a taste for coffee, but a nice strong cup of Earl Grey is a little slice of heaven. I learned how to make real English scones in my "domestic science" class at Impington Village College outside of Cambridge, they are pretty easy if you can get self rising floor.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol - I hope you were also taught how to pronounce "scones" correctly! [Wink]
Tom- Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Go find yourself some unpasteurized, or pasteurized heavy whipping cream(organic is a good place to start, maybe Safeway? Fill a cast iron, or heavy bottomed pot 1 to 3 inches full with the cream. Put pot in oven set at 180* for at least 8 hrs until a thick yellowish(custard color) skin is on it and take out. Let cool, then fridge it for at least 8 hours. Cream under the skin is your clotted cream. Talk to CS to make the scones, share and enjoy!

Community begins with Aloha
We went to the parade in Volcano, seemed like really good turnout. The weather was perfect for it. We would have gone to the Hilo fireworks, but stayed too late at dinner with some friends. Also bought a mattress since they had a pretty good sale at Americas. Isn't buying a mattress what you're supposed to to celebrate 4th of July?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Tom,
My brother and I went home with well developed English accents, we pronounced EVERYTHING just like our classmates. When we were going through customs on our way out some English government official asked my brother how much money he had, when the answer was "5 quid" in an English accent the guy stopped us all and really wanted to know why these kids with US passports spoke like we had always lived there!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Isn't buying a mattress what you're supposed to to celebrate 4th of July?

Yes.... so long as you showed your significant other the "stars and stripes forever".
Carol - when I first moved here I stayed as a room-mate of a friend and colleague who'd spent a year here and he kept telling me how much things cost in "bucks". I thought it sounded daft, a Brit using such language and with an English accent. Now I find myself doing exactly the same thing.

I'm sure it sounds ridiculous to people here, saying "oh, that's about twenty bucks then" with an English accent, but I also now say trunk rather than boot and hood rather than bonnet, but always with an English accent. I was always bad at languages and am especially bad at accents (you don't want to hear my pidgin) although strangely enough I could do a really good Ulster accent, but anything Hawaiian or US defeats me. My brain just isn't wired that way. For some reason, though, I can instantly switch back to being a Brit when I go back there despite living here so long. On the other hand, people here actually seem to like my accent, but they always think I'm Australian...

Have a nice day.

(Was that the right way to end a conversation?) Wink
Tom, I look forward to hearing a Bob's your uncle Fannies your aunt in Puna. I worked for a plaster crew in N.C for a Brit and with an Aussie and used to crack up all day long just hearing them talk and the Brits mom used to send us the best biscuits I ever ate and he put tabacco in his joints.
Oh, I can tell you fishenjim, when you get a passionate Brit (Pom) and Aussie together, the language will always be colourful! Anyway, this is kind of getting away from Puna, so will leave it there other than to tell you that Safeway does have a Brit food section - they might have some nice biscuits there. Strangely enough, it's in the East Asian aisle. And they apparently haven't kept up with their supplier of Heinz baked beans recently. Would you Adam 'n Eve it though, they still have HP sauce, so Bob's your uncle, I'm chuffed. Alright, it's late, up the apples and pears for a feather and flip.