Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMO Free Hawaii endorses FRANCES Frannie PUEO
quote:
Originally posted by pelelani
There is a huge growth industry for organic, non-GMO foods as the population becomes more informed of the dangers of GMO and non-organic food. The industry world wide in 2012 was $400 BILLION and next year, [b]in 2015 is expected to be double, $800 Billion.

That is the thing with you anti-GMO people, you are bald faced liars. You make statements that are totally false, then proceed to develop conclusions from them. Organic food and beverages are growing but nowhere your fictitious numbers claim.
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti...on-by-2019
Organic Food And Beverage Market Size, Product And Regional Analysis : Growth USD 187.85 Billion by 2019

As for organic produce, you are one of those people that need to get it through their heads that "EXPORT OF HAWAII ISLAND PRODUCE IS DEAD". The cost of labor here and the cost to ship elsewhere means this fools dream of organic somehow resulting in an export market is delusional. In fact, there is nothing stopping organic produce here now, and yet, if you look at the organic produce section in every grocery store here, most of it is coming from California and elsewhere. Stop looking at everything cross eyed.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

[quote]Originally posted by pelelani

That is the thing with you anti-GMO people, you are bald faced liars. You make statements that are totally false, then proceed to develop conclusions from them. Organic food and beverages are growing but nowhere your fictitious numbers claim.
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti...on-by-2019
Organic Food And Beverage Market Size, Product And Regional Analysis : Growth USD 187.85 Billion by 2019

The figures I quoted are world-wide, not US. The reason this is important is because the export market for non-GMO and organic is huge. We should not confine our market to the US only. Many EU countries are more mature in their natural foods industries.
DaVinci - just to be clear, I didn't write my post hoping you would stop debating the GMO issue, in fact I hope you continue because at the very least you present an educated and civil approach to the subject even if I don't agree with your views on this specific subject. I've just had enough with many on the anti-GMO side of things that cannot argue the issue rationally (and one or two on the pro-GMO side as well). For instance, on the BIC very recently, I saw a comment that told Richard Ha to just shut up and go away. Richard doesn't deserve having to deal with that attitude given his commitment to farmers and agriculture on the island. It's that attitude that has made me grow weary of the GMO debate.

At least with those coming up with fantastic theories about the earth being visited by aliens, the observatories being tied into secret defense activities and machines flying around the island disguised as birds and bugs it comes across as entertaining! Although even that is getting a little old these days...
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

DaVinci - just to be clear, I didn't write my post hoping you would stop debating the GMO issue, in fact I hope you continue because at the very least you present an educated and civil approach to the subject even if I don't agree with your views on this specific subject. I've just had enough with many on the anti-GMO side of things that cannot argue the issue rationally (and one or two on the pro-GMO side as well). For instance, on the BIC very recently, I saw a comment that told Richard Ha to just shut up and go away. Richard doesn't deserve having to deal with that attitude given his commitment to farmers and agriculture on the island. It's that attitude that has made me grow weary of the GMO debate.

At least with those coming up with fantastic theories about the earth being visited by aliens, the observatories being tied into secret defense activities and machines flying around the island disguised as birds and bugs it comes across as entertaining! Although even that is getting a little old these days...

Standing ovation, Mr. Tom.

Absolutely fair, reasonable,and truthful statement. Well said. With due respect to opposing opinion.

JMO.
Pelelani

I have to agree with Ted. Unless you can provide a link, to a legitimate source, I call shenanigans on your statistics. You wrote; "The industry world wide in 2012 was $400 BILLION and next year, in 2015 is expected to be double, $800 Billion. ".

The most generous published estimated value I could find is below, most were much less, even half. It's 1-2% of total value of food and beverages, more than a rounding error but not by much.
"A new report, "Global Organic Foods & Beverages Market Analysis by Products, Geography, Regulations, Pricing Trends, & Forecasts (2010 – 2015)” forecasts an estimated compound annual growth of 12.8 percent for the global organic food and beverages market. This will result in a significant expansion of the market, which was estimated at $57.2 billion in 2010. By 2015, the global organic food and beverages market is expected to reach $104.50 billion. "
The reality is that organics remain a niche, favored by those who can afford it or who choose to make it a priority. Supporting any element of the economy, as you suggest Ms Pueo will, over any other is a recipe for waste and an avenue for abuse. 5 year plans don't work. FP is either naive or a true believer, neither quality of which we should wish upon ourselves in an elected official.

BTW, you write;
"The issue with many GMO food crops is the DNA actually used to modify the organism. Some of the DNA makes the food crop resistant to pests by creating its own toxin. And some are also modified to tolerate toxins used to kill the pests. What has been occurring is that mother nature has then mutated pests to be pesticide resistant necessitating the need for more or different pesticides. For food crops this is dangerous."

This paragraph is an amalgamation of a simplistic statement, inaccuracy, conflation, and illogic.
"The issue ...is the DNA actually used...". Why yes, that's what a GMO IS.
"...creating it's own toxin...". Um, no, the bT gene inserted is not a toxin to humans or animals, it's a bacteria that produces proteins when its in the gut of certain stages of insects that lead to a crystal that destroys the gut and kills the host. bT is certified for organic crops, as you probably well know. Roundup Ready crops have no toxin inserted either.
"...Mother nature has then mutated...". Um, mutations have been, and will continue, till the end of life for all living things. It's what life does.
"for food crops this is dangerous". Here's the conflict at it's essence, at the root. Economics. GMO are only cost effective if they allow the reduction of other inputs, be it labor, tillage, pesticides, fertilizer, whatever. Otherwise , no sense.

I find most anti-progress arguments to be thematically similar to the above; founded on feelings, developed in fear, expressed with fervor.
Opihikao - I'm blushing! To be fair, though, I have met DaVinci in person and formed my opinions of integrity, honesty and intelligence then. Sometimes there are people that write opinions online that look nasty, unintelligent and quite frankly outrageous and you know you'll never want to meet them in person. On the odd occasion, you actually get to meet them and they turn out to be wonderful people. That isn't DaVinci though. His online persona is wonderful and his real life persona are the same. It's people like that (which you are a subset of except I haven't met you) that make debating hugely enjoyable.

DaVinci and I met on a Mauna Kea tour - http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11243&SearchTerms=DaVinci,mauna,Kea

I hope one day to offer another but right now circumstances don't allow me to do that, and when I have offered them before there has been little interest from the Punaweb community. I've never quite understood why, but it is what it is.
quote:
Originally posted by HiloPuna

Pelelani

I have to agree with Ted. Unless you can provide a link, to a legitimate source, I call shenanigans on your statistics. You wrote; "The industry world wide in 2012 was $400 BILLION and next year, in 2015 is expected to be double, $800 Billion. ".

Packaged Facts is an independent marketing company which does all types of market research for businesses and investors. Here are the two links where the data comes from:

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release...525854.htm

http://www.packagedfacts.com/Natural-Org...s-6057035/

Also, some of the GMO research (which I will look for) is from Tyrone Hayes of UC Berkeley who used to work for Syngenta. He gave a talk at UH Hilo about atrazine a pesticide which is causing many birth defects. He explained the GMOs very well.
Pelelani

Taking a break from pounding plywood...
Read about Tyrone Hayes before you accept his claims. He is a performer who needs grist for the mill, so he sensationalized his work and lost most, if not all, of his credibility.