Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Scenarios, Preparedness
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I very rarely go to the "other places do it better mode," and actually my post was a comment on how little our Public Works gets accomplished compared to what can be done, but without suggesting anything radical like importing efficient workers.

snorkle, I don't know how often you drive through Pa'auilo, living to the south, but those of us who drove through there regularly from 2006 on were amazed at how there was always work there but not so much progress.

It was hard no to feel that the project existed to give job security to the road workers. I've also been told that HELCO keeps the tree trimming companies steadily employed by contracting them to trim a puka for the wires to run though instead of actually dealing with the tree problem in a way that will last.

OK as long as life goes on at the normal slow pace, but when something big happens, and all you have to go to work on it is people who are used to walking just fast enough to stay in one place and a little bit more, you're in trouble.

Kathy

I thought the bridge was considered historical and that is why they had to restore it instead of tearing it out and building a new one, which could have been done in 1/2 the time.

Also the bridge was earthquake damage and had to go through FEMA, which itself is a living nightmare of delays and paperwork. If you do it wrong or miss something it gets denied.

I would love for you to run a project so you can actually see the crap that goes behind the scenes. It's easy to sit back and complain, until you realize the hoops,paperwork and consequences of a single decision.

Do you realize something as simple as having a marked parking stall is a trigger to make you entire complex ada complaint. Look at the superferry, tmt telescope or light rail on oahu and all the hoops and lawsuits. You miss one step or have it out of order and it can end up in the courts for years.

So instead of complaining, why not call and ask. Though I guess it's easier to complain then actually find out the answers...
I apologize if I've sidetracked this thread a little. Bringing it back online; and a relevant comment on HELCO:

HELCO isn't a normal business; They are a utility/power monopoly. Monopoly's do fail; And when they do, it's usually because of their own greed.

Many people DID have power in the affected areas. These were the folks that used modern technology to eliminate HELCO from their lives. The next disruption of service caused by HELCO's obsolete business model will feature many more people that have unhooked. HELCO is headed for extinction; Because as more and more people unhook, the customers left will be charged more(Domino effect?).

My advice to residents of Lava Zone 1;

You live on a rift zone. Work on becoming power independent. As technology becomes more affordable, our local monopoly, out of loyalty to shareholders, will become only more expensive.(While circling the drain)
snorkle, when you post only part of the truth, it doesn't help your "cause" much. I think your reliance upon liberal websites for your talking points is failing you. I believe you should be ranting about your beloved Costco's obscene profits, instead.

http://www1.salary.com/W-Craig-Jelinek-S...-CORP.html

"As President and Chief Executive Officer at COSTCO WHOLESALE CORP, W. Craig Jelinek made $5,356,442 in total compensation. Of this total $650,000 was received as a salary, $88,800 was received as a bonus, $0 was received in stock options, $4,527,994 was awarded as stock and $89,648 came from other types of compensation. This information is according to proxy statements filed for the 2013 fiscal year. "

Walmart's CEO had $20.6 million in total compensation.
Based upon your logic, Costco's CEO should have made less than $2 million, because Costco is about 1/10th the size of walmart. Looks like your Costco hero was overpaid?

Walmart is a very different business than Costco. You really cannot compare the two. They sell different types of items.
Walmart has approx $211k in revenue, per employee vs Costco's $620k per employee.
Walmart has 10 times the amout of US stores than Costco.
Costco's profit in 2013 was 2.03 Billion
Walmart's profit in 2013 was $16 Billion

If you truly believe the Walmart has obscene profits thing, why does Costco, at 1/10th the size, have higher profit percentages?

Costco also returned a higher percentage of profits back to investors on a per share basis, than Walmart did.

Maybe Costco is the company that should be paying their employees even more than they do now, because, "they can afford it"?

I didn't know that, dude and appreciate you setting me straight. I withdraw my statement about COSTCO/Walmart profit; They are both obscene;

But I stand my ground about COSTCO paying a living wage and benefits to their employees, while Walmart pays poverty wages and is subsidized by Government welfare.
So should HECO pay minimum wage so that you can use electricity at WalMart prices? HECO returns about 5% to their shareholders.
So should HECO pay minimum wage so that you can use electricity at WalMart prices? HECO returns about 5% to their shareholders.

Now that is funny. I sorta like the concept though. [Big Grin]
Snorkle, why is Costco's profit considered obscene??? To recap, its CEO makes about $5.5 million a year, but that's way less than most corporate CEO's (and, by the way, less than the CEO of HECO, HELCO's parent company). By all measures he earns his pay by running his company extremely well. Costco is widely viewed as a leader in corporate social responsibility. The company has a loyal customer base that believes the company offers high quality products at prices that offer good value. The company pays its employees well (According to Motley Fool, a Wal-Mart employee starts out at around $10 an hour, while a Costco employee starts out at around $11. A Wal-Mart employee makes about $12.50 after four years, while a Costco employee is bumped up to $19.50 after the same period of time. And according to Yahoo Finance: Wholesale retailer Costco pays its employees an average of nearly $21 per hour, about 65% higher than Wal-Mart). Its investors (both individual shareholders as well as the pension funds, insurance companies and other large investors) receive a good return on their investment.

So what's obscene?
Waaaay off topic for many posts now. Can we please get back to the lava preparedness portion of this thread? I can see the smoke of pele approaching not too far off.
FYI: Update (*Snipped - More at link Incl. Video Report)

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2014/0...30-update/

PUNA, Hawaii – Lava spilled from a steaming ground crack on Friday, as the far end of June 27th lava flow reactivated. Civil Defense officials issued an audio alert Saturday morning saying there was no immediate of imminent threat to populated areas. The message said the flow was 1.4 miles from the eastern boundary of the Wao Kele o Puna Forest Reserve.

Scientists photographed the latest development in the north-eastward march of the June 27 lava flow, named for the date it began. They posted the images to the HVO website.